• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AC Line filters?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
We go through a lot of light bulbs , and phone chargers don't last as long as they should. My important stuff is plugged in to TrippLite surge protectors. Stuff like my amplifier and SACD player are usually unplugged if not in use.

Line filters block rapid changes in voltage but do nothing for slower changes, which require a voltage regulator or real UPS (load is always powered by battery circuit). Try that test I mentioned where the laser printer is turned on or off, or use other loads like vacuum cleaners or power tools. Best may be an old-style fluorescent desk lamp where you have to hold a button down for 1-2 seconds until it lights up.

113VAC seems low but could be normal, if it's the no-load voltage, but you may want to test by loading down the AC outlet with something that draws at least 10 amps, like a hair dryer, vacuum cleaner, or power tool, and see how much the voltage droops. Apparently 6% droop is acceptable, and modern electronics are supposed to tolerate voltage as low as 90-100VAC, but I'd rather see only a 3% droop. Where I used to live, some of the outlets would go from 122VAC to 90VAC at 15 amps because the wire splices were loose -- all back-stabbed instead of screwed.

Last edited:
I tested an empty socket in the basement and I tested the socket my rig was plugged into. While folding the voltage was about 113 just like the basement socket was.

Today in the PC socket I'm at 117.6V AC.....

I second the PFC1500LCD by Cyber Power, I've had mine for a year and half now I guess and it's worked flawlessly keeping my PC up during the frequent summer brownouts and given me plenty of time to shut the system down, or it shuts the system down when the power goes out for more than a minute or two. I look at it like this, I got a lot of money invested in this equipment, what's a few more c-notes to ensure it is getting god clean power to keep it running the way it was meant too.

I second the PFC1500LCD by Cyber Power, I've had mine for a year and half now I guess and it's worked flawlessly keeping my PC up during the frequent summer brownouts and given me plenty of time to shut the system down, or it shuts the system down when the power goes out for more than a minute or two. I look at it like this, I got a lot of money invested in this equipment, what's a few more c-notes to ensure it is getting god clean power to keep it running the way it was meant too.

I have the same UPS for 6 months now. Great unit.

Before I upgraded to this unit, my old UPS would not tolerate the power "blips" when the PC was under full load. With the old unit, the PC would shut down.

With this unit, no issues at all during power blips.

A good test for a UPS is to put your PC at full power load...then kill the AC input. Your PC should keep chugging just fine. If it doesn't, you need a UPS (like this one) that can handle the PFC of the newer PC power supplies.

U.S. and Canada are supposed to be 120+-5% (114v-126v), so if you're actually getting 113v at the outlet you should probably call an electrician because you may be violating code, let alone damaging electronics that can't deal with out-of-spec power. 110v may be the popular number, but it's wrong :)

U.S. and Canada are supposed to be 120+-5% (114v-126v), so if you're actually getting 113v at the outlet you should probably call an electrician because you may be violating code, let alone damaging electronics that can't deal with out-of-spec power. 110v may be the popular number, but it's wrong :)
Hmmmm...

I wonder if the neighbours are getting the same voltage?
At 112.4V today :-/

Could probably ask to check some outlets if your on good terms with them, worst they can say is no and call the Mounties for trespassing, would hate to see what the worst is if you were on bad terms with them, lol.

Could probably ask to check some outlets if your on good terms with them, worst they can say is no and call the Mounties for trespassing, would hate to see what the worst is if you were on bad terms with them, lol.

lol I'm on good terms with most people here...

Not the guy beside me though....

If your on good terms with most, then just explain you think the power company might be slacking in their responsibilities to provide decent power to you and the rest of the street and see if you can test some outlets to confirm, it might not just be you suffering from constant power fluctuations and electrical issues. then run really fast so the Mounties to get you.

Yeah , but it's usually me! LMAO

I didn't know you lived across the street from me.

115.4 today.

AC is hard to regulate anyways. Could be any number it wants really.
Funny that it changes by the day eh?

115.4 today.

AC is hard to regulate anyways. Could be any number it wants really.
Funny that it changes by the day eh?

Are you testing at the same time of the day each time???

Does it coincide with general high/low demand time periods , or just wander up and down at random?

This is the main thing Im reaching for with my last question.

As you get ever closer to the ampacity limits of the conductor or transformer supplying the electricity you will get an inherent loss of voltage due to the resistance rising in response. I feel like there are a few factors affecting your measurements. 1 old equipment and infrastructure is near its limits. 2 The localized load in your neighborhood will fluctuate throughout the day during peak times the measured voltage will be lower due to the limits of point 1. 3 is pure speculation if you are witnessing a pattern offset to the typical behaviors of usage among normal people with 12 or 18 hour periods of low voltage your neighbor may have a particular type of high energy demand usage(ill leave this one to your imagination).

If you really want to figure it out testing at specific times of day like within a 10-15 min window of each measurement, a few times per day will be required. However, the short answer is just get a UPS and be done with it.

Just testing at random times...
Honestly just curious about the voltage at the wall so I'll randomly go and measure it.

Back