• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AC motor close to motherboard??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

I am in the design stages of building my own case. I am planning on using an AC blower fan (see picture) as the main fan on to the CPU heatsink. I have used this blower as a CPU fan before and it worked great.... but at that time it was ducted in - so the actual Fan was about 4ft away.
blower.JPG

With the case I plan to build I want to mount the fan right under the motherboard (see hand-drawn diagram). Is their any chance the AC motor will put out any kind of electrical interference that could mess with the CPU or Motherboard???
blower diagram.JPG

Being able to do this is crucial to my case design... So I need to know if this idea will cause any issues before I start building. I hope to start construction next Monday (the 30th), so I am hopping for some good advice.
Thank all of you in advance.....:thup:

:pics:

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
There will almost always be interference, especially when they are that close. I doubt it will cause any issues with stability (etc), to be honest.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
WHAT?!?!!?!?! I CANT HEAR YOU OVER THESE FANS!!!!!!!!! ;)

Anyway, I dont believe it would cause any issues aside from the amount of noise and lack of aesthetics.

I want pix and temp comparions please!!!! :)

OP
Dusnoetos

Dusnoetos

There will almost always be interference, especially when they are that close. I doubt it will cause any issues with stability (etc), to be honest.

Well I do hope you are right..
Well it would really suck to build everything only to have the interference cause issues.... SO... any thoughts on how I might be able to shield the motor to reduce any possible interference.

OP
Dusnoetos

Dusnoetos

WHAT?!?!!?!?! I CANT HEAR YOU OVER THESE FANS!!!!!!!!! ;)

Anyway, I dont believe it would cause any issues aside from the amount of noise and lack of aesthetics.

I want pix and temp comparions please!!!! :)

:p LOL...

to be honest the blower is actually very quiet...it is quieter than my current CPU fan....and easily put out more CFM at better pressure. (I honestly do not know what the CFM output of the dual blower is...nor how to even estimate beyond simple feel)

I am not one to reveal my plans before I finish the build (but I intend to take pictures of the proceess)... But In the end one should not even be able to see the blower at all - only the ducting that will direct the air on to the heat sink will be visible - and I hope to make that out of clear plastic....

And besides Aesthetics is all in the eye of the beholder. What I find pleasing to the eye you may not and vice versa :shrug:

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
hmm, makes me think of using a car rad or motorcycle rad with those two blowers...

be safe, hope a jumper doesnt get sucked off the motherboard! o_O

OP
Dusnoetos

Dusnoetos

Check the FCC id on the motor and google that. Should tell you what kind of EMI to expect. Expect some :)

I understand what you are getting at...but I am not sure that is possible...:eh?:
blower lable.JPG

And just in case you are wondering about the zip tie... it is holding the cord to prevent it from accidentally pulled out of the motor.

Automata

Those are spaced far enough apart that you could probably cool that 4850 with a custom heatsink...

OP
Dusnoetos

Dusnoetos

hmm, makes me think of using a car rad or motorcycle rad with those two blowers...

be safe, hope a jumper doesnt get sucked off the motherboard! o_O

:eek: that should not be a problem... the blower intakes will be completely separated from the top of the motherboard. But that would be funny - if it happened to some one else....:p

Those are spaced far enough apart that you could probably cool that 4850 with a custom heatsink...

HUmm... never thought of that... I plan on combining the air output from the blowers on to the CPU heat sink...
As for the HOT 4850.. I have a smaller blower with a built in thermal probe that will auto adjust speed in mind....But still trying to determine how to utilize it....

Last edited:

Automata

I don't think you will see a large decrease in temperatures with both outputs on the CPU. You'd also lose some airflow due to the duct and it have to take a sharp 90 degree corner combined with forcing the two air channels to merge. If you could line up the outputs to the CPU/GPU with a duct only so it blows through the heatsinks, I believe it would be a lot better.

Less noise. Less restriction. More airflow. Lower temps.

OP
Dusnoetos

Dusnoetos

I don't think you will see a large decrease in temperatures with both outputs on the CPU. You'd also lose some airflow due to the duct and it have to take a sharp 90 degree corner combined with forcing the two air channels to merge. If you could line up the outputs to the CPU/GPU with a duct only so it blows through the heatsinks, I believe it would be a lot better.

Less noise. Less restriction. More airflow. Lower temps.

Defently some food for thought.....the biggest question I have about your idea is how to mod the 4850 ????

tinymouse2

Maybe just point it in the general direction of the GPU? If you have a case like the HAF 932 then you could probably re-mount the hard drives where the optical drives go and just mount that blower where the intake fan is usually. That will blow air directly onto your GPU and hopefully lowering the temps. Oh and cable ties, lots and lots of cable ties.

OP
Dusnoetos

Dusnoetos

Well I am still trying to determine what to do with the GPU - cooling wise, in the case I plan to build.

Now I need to gather materals... and I wish I had a simple (and Free) CAD program to make better plans than my funky hand drawn ones.

I will take pictures of the whole process and post it all in the cases section when my plans are finalized.

And here is a teaser picture.... My 19 month old daughter is helping me prep the motherboard tray I will use. (she was actualy tryingt to pull out a plastic stand off....:p)
MoBo tray.JPG

Last edited:

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
hehehe, perfect pic to had some kind of IT caption to. "Babytech, your only source to fix your computer problems of any kind!"

onederldl

I know this advice is probably coming a little late, but based on your picture you should be fine. I made myself a similar setup a few years back and i have not noticed any issues from the blowers. If you are still worried about interference you could always get some EMI shielding fabric (which is basically screen made of metal) and throw that between the blowers and the MB.

Added some pics for reference. My blowers are nowhere near as close to my MB as your pic.

P4233999.jpg P4233998.jpg