• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AC Rheostat possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fluxer

Well, I have a monster 120mm fan that plugs into the wall via an AC connection. I know its possible to use a rheostat with a DC connection to the computer power supply but is there anything I can make/buy to use one with an AC connection? The reason I want to do this is because I have my heater core outside my case and plugging the fan into the wall is more convinient (aside from the fact that I don't want to buy another 120mm DC fan just so I can use a rheostat).

Well, I can tell you what won't work.
Out of curiosity, I just tried my RadioShack 120mm 110volt fan with a wall mount dimmer switch (labeled: incandescent light dimmer)...no good. The motor barely turned at all at full on power.

Maybe a fan control switch would work better...find it by the ceiling fans at Home Depot or Lowes. They're constructed differently inside.

Have fun!

Diggrr said:
Well, I can tell you what won't work.
Out of curiosity, I just tried my RadioShack 120mm 110volt fan with a wall mount dimmer switch (labeled: incandescent light dimmer)...no good. The motor barely turned at all at full on power.

Maybe a fan control switch would work better...find it by the ceiling fans at Home Depot or Lowes. They're constructed differently inside.

Have fun!
I don't know why it wouldn't work tons of ceiling fans use those switches

This will be interesting. I think I may try and get some type of fan control switch or dimmer tomorrow to try out.

Sewing machines, older ones use rheostat speed controls. Got one on an extension cord that I can rheostat anything with, works good with my drill. Kinda useful for diagnosing overvoltage problems on monitors too, and for seeing how well your PSU copes with brownouts LOL.

Road Warrior

Back