• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AC2 and delayed PC releases

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

buffheman

So I saw Assassin's Creed 2 came out on consoles today, ads all over the internet. So I googled the PC release date... March. 4 months? Does that seem really long, or am I just crazy? The last time I can remember something like this was KOTOR... I feel like I waited an eternity for that to come out on PC, but I don't think they expected the success they got with that game. For all I know they hadn't even planned a PC release. I guess they did the same thing with Mass Effect... but not with Dragon Age.

What's the deal with this? Some amount of time is reasonble, but for a game where you know they're planning a PC release, why such a delay? For me, that's a bad sign. Let's build this entirely for consoles and ignore PC, then visit it as a 4 month long afterthought. Maybe if it was just a company operating policy thing, but Bioware and Ubisoft have both done simultaneous and delayed releases. I don't get it... maybe I'm completely wrong and it's a good sign and more companies should spend the extra time to optimize their ports. Just seems like it should be an ongoing process and not an afterthought.

Maybe this happens way more than I think it does, I'm not the most aware of console release dates.

deed

So I saw Assassin's Creed 2 came out on consoles today, ads all over the internet. So I googled the PC release date... March. 4 months? Does that seem really long, or am I just crazy? The last time I can remember something like this was KOTOR... I feel like I waited an eternity for that to come out on PC, but I don't think they expected the success they got with that game. For all I know they hadn't even planned a PC release. I guess they did the same thing with Mass Effect... but not with Dragon Age.

What's the deal with this? Some amount of time is reasonble, but for a game where you know they're planning a PC release, why such a delay? For me, that's a bad sign. Let's build this entirely for consoles and ignore PC, then visit it as a 4 month long afterthought. Maybe if it was just a company operating policy thing, but Bioware and Ubisoft have both done simultaneous and delayed releases. I don't get it... maybe I'm completely wrong and it's a good sign and more companies should spend the extra time to optimize their ports. Just seems like it should be an ongoing process and not an afterthought.

Maybe this happens way more than I think it does, I'm not the most aware of console release dates.

Happens alot... I always thought they started the console version first because in some games it makes more sales so the pc version was worked on later possibly casuing delays.

lordkosc

I am actually GLAD the PC version was delayed, between Torchlight, L4D2 , God of War Collection (PS3) and The Bad Company 2 beta coming up, there isn't time to play AC2.

shard

I am actually GLAD the PC version was delayed, between Torchlight, L4D2 , God of War Collection (PS3) and The Bad Company 2 beta coming up, there isn't time to play AC2.

Kinda this for me too. Yeah, I would love to play it, especially after all the great reviews for it. But with Dragon Age, Torchlight, WoW, and other crap, I dont think I will really get around to finishing it any time soon.

theflash083

same boat as everyone else, got mw2, torchlight, just got overloard , overloard 2, dragon age, l4d2 so many games been playing lately, not enough time anyways. :D

But for some one that was waiting for it, i guess it could suck.

SteveLord

With Ubi...I am betting you they are just sitting on it and not doing anything so people aren't quick to assume it will be a console port.

rainless

Old Member
I've already said this twenty times... so one more won't hurt:

Game publishers don't give a damned about the PC version.

They will unquestionably make the least amount of money for any PC game they release... so they're in no rush.

Unless it's something GIGANTIC like MW2 or L4D2... you can forget about a simultaneous PC release.

Batman, Borderlands, Street Fighter IV, GTA San Andreas, Mass Effect, Gears of War... delayed, delayed, delayed, delayed, delayed, delayed.

Leviathan41

The PC version of AC had extra content that wasn't on the console version and the game had some additional graphical features (DX 10.1 I think?) so it wasn't like they were just sitting on it for no reason. I don't really have a problem if they actually spend that time making the PC version better. It's the artificial delays that I don't like.

And as others have said, I've got plenty to play right now and more games coming soon, I'm kind of glad it got pushed to a less popular release month.

TommyHolly

You guys use acronyms too much... Too many games have the same letters. I thought AC2 was Asheron's Call 2 (a once popular MMORPG) so I made another thread talking about the movie for Assasin's Creed. Sorry for a second thread. Maybe try putting the full title of the game in the Thread Title and refer to it by it's acronym in the thread??

TheGreySpectre

It was originally slated as a simultaneous release when I went to the ubisoft demo of it at pax the dev seemed pretty excited that it was going to be a simul release. Who knows what issues came up.

Neural Net

Of course, you know, the extra time has nothing to do with having to make the game run on different settings on different PCs, requiring extra QA and time to see that it works as advertised. No no, of course not, you can just run the Xbox 360 version straight on the PC.

If Ubisoft is putting some effort into the PC version, like they did with AC1 (which they didn't have to do AT ALL by the way) then yes it is going to take longer, because that's just how it is.

They may even be coding it for DX11, who knows? Dirt 2 was delayed for that very purpose and people aren't complaining.

If anything, MW2 getting a simultaneous release as the consoles shows how IW/Activision doesn't give a damn about PC - most of it is a direct port from the Xbox 360 version.

Hardin

Mass Effect and Gears of War were way better on the pc. I never played AC on the pc, but it sounded like it was a lot better as well. A few delays won't cause any problems. If I really need it now I'll just get the 360 version.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
Blame pirating on the delay's . Whether real or imagined.

The controls are better designed for a console....so I just went ahead and got the PS3 version.