• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ack 3d gaming exp not good =(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dougan

I am currently trying to play dues ex, and well im not able to play more than 5 minutes before my computer hard locks any ideas? I have put the res down to 800x600 turned everything to the lowest settings. I am having nothing but problems. Can anyone guide a newbie? I think im using the 9009 drivers for my vid card.
Thank you!

RainMaQer

3D God
My first thought is ALWAYS heat... what are your temps (mobo, cpu, ambient, etc...)? Is your system overclocked? If so what are your bus speeds? Core/mem speeds? Using agp 4x (if so try 2x)? Good luck bro... hope to here from ya soon.

OP
Dougan

Dougan

Problems

Well im runnin a 1.4 at about 140 F not sure of the other stuff, Im not overclocked and im runnin 4x agp im sure. Everything is stock setup as far as I know. I used to beable to play this game for hours about 5 months ago, but just reloaded it after i reinstalled windows (2x now) and wont run in multiplayer or single =( I am really confused as to what is going on with this.

ShadowCat66

I didnt see anything about patching the game.Whenever i install games on my system I always look to make sure i have the latest patch installed and if possible i also run defrag before running my games.If heat isnt the problem check drivers and updates.I have fixed many problems with games by patching and running defrag.Sometimes just by uninstalling the game and reinstalling it can work to.I know how frustrating it can be to have your fav game,with no apparent reason not run properly.....feel your pain,good luck!

RainMaQer

3D God
Re: Problems

Dougan said:
Well im runnin a 1.4 at about 140 F not sure of the other stuff, Im not overclocked and im runnin 4x agp im sure. Everything is stock setup as far as I know. I used to beable to play this game for hours about 5 months ago, but just reloaded it after i reinstalled windows (2x now) and wont run in multiplayer or single =( I am really confused as to what is going on with this.

Is that temp at idle? Thats pretty freaking warm there bro... thats 60*C... I'd be adding some more fans and moving some cables/wires to increase airflow... Also... knock that down to agp 2x... you might get some more stability if you overclock... if you don't oc then I wouldn't worry about it... but when you DO and you increase the FSB... give that a go. But for now... work on better cooling bro... thats WAY too warm.

OP
Dougan

Dougan

Thank you all!

I reinstalled it 4 times and on the 4th try bam it worked, then i knocked a soda pop on my keyboard omg someone just does not want me to play this game =( About the cooling I am using a stock ekl fan as hs, I can get ahold of a thermaltake 6cu+ will that make a diff? Also the chip is oem dont know if that helps. Any advice on that would be great!

xl

That would make a huge diff, those stock fans are lousy. Also make sure you have an intake fan AND an exhaust fan. But also remember, Asus temps are about 10C higher than reality, but 50c is still way too high for a non overclocked tbird.

CSaddict

I agree with Rain those temps are way up there. Get some fans. Try runnign the game with the side off the machine and a house fan blowing on it.

bdf24

You guy's need to realize what motherboard he's running. He's running an Asus A7A 266. There notorious for false temp reading's. They almost alway's give much higher reading's then the actual temp.
My Asus A7A 266 gave reading's in the low 60's Celcius @ idle with my 1.2 gig T-bird. But the system was perfectly stable. That same chip running in a Abit board idled along at around 41C. I know the rumour has alway's been that there off by 10C. But that's not the case for everyone. My was about 20C higher on the average.

RainMaQer

3D God
bdf24 said:
You guy's need to realize what motherboard he's running. He's running an Asus A7A 266. There notorious for false temp reading's. They almost alway's give much higher reading's then the actual temp.
My Asus A7A 266 gave reading's in the low 60's Celcius @ idle with my 1.2 gig T-bird. But the system was perfectly stable. That same chip running in a Abit board idled along at around 41C. I know the rumour has alway's been that there off by 10C. But that's not the case for everyone. My was about 20C higher on the average.

Thats a very good and valid point... but I'm sticking with "Better safe than sorry" ;)