• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Acrylic vs. Plexiglass thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GHOST_Viper

Registered
Well, to not give away too many details, I want to make a clear duct for a 120mm blowhole, directed to my Swiftech MCX462. But I have a few thoughts/problems. :)

First of all, I have a PC-60 with standard square side-panel window. The 120mm fan I'm looking at getting, since it's more CFM and less dB(A) than the Delta on the Swiftech, is http://www.case-mod.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=28_29&products_id=250

However I have some concerns about it, first of all, is the 120mm fan too heavy to safely mount on the window? Heh, well I guess that's the only concern actually. :) I don't have any money at all, so I can't really afford to buy something that might not work. I expect the CFM to drop a bit going through the duct to the CPU, but not by too much, but I've also never done a duct before, so I'm not sure how exactly to secure the duct as well (considering I want it to be made of plexiglass of acrylic, which is easier/cheaper?).

Any thoughts/helpful ideas on this would be appreciated, the entire reason I want the aluminum fan is for looks, but I am concerned about it's weight, as the 80mm variety which I have is noticeably heavier than the panaflos.

-Jason

Intrepid

I personaly just use regular safty glass, it's great stuff but wont take abuse like plexi will, tho is much more scratch resistant.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
no no no.
Plexiglass is what Acrylic is often incorrectly called.

Acrylic is used whem image clarity and scratch resistance are more important that impact protection. Acrylic melts at lower temperatures and is therefore easier to mold or warp into differenct shapes. But this ease of melting also make it a particularly fussy material to tool.

POLYCARBONATE is used when impact protection and heat resistance are most important. It's used for bullet-proof windows, protective visors, safety goggles (sometimes vinyl mixes are added for flexibility), and in windsheilds for planes and race cars.
It can be coated with a thin layer of acrylic to increase scratch resistance. It scratches easily but is VERY easy to tool, cut, sand, and play with.

I used Polycarbonate because there's really no reason to worry about scratching it. It doesn't crack under pressure like most brands of acrylic and it's much easier to make things with.
Acrylic can also give off toxic fumes when heated. While cutting out an acrylic window for a friend I got my first wiff of acrylic fumes and got the meanest headache I have ever had.

OP
G

GHOST_Viper

Registered
Thanks for the replies!

However I have started to look into watercooling, because of the concern about backpressure from the duct->adapter->HS.

I just want my stupid delta fan to go away! (Replaced by something as effective, but quieter though)

:)

Daemonfly

For windows I just use the 1/8" Lexan available at my Home Depot. You might wanna check there in your area to see what they stock.

Doofie27cp2

Banned
i think that ... LOL I JUST SAW CAN O BEANS AVATAR. I cant stop laughing lmfao! anyways back to point. I think that captain slugs rank should say " Plastics Pioneer"

thef0x82

Captain Slug said:

Hehehehe. Helpful Member is the rank I've been wanting since I got here and I'm earning it everyday.

I haven't seen anything yet that Captain Slug didn't know everything about.

;)

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
thef0x82 said:
I haven't seen anything yet that Captain Slug didn't know everything about.

Aaawwwww how sweet. But I will admit that I suck at math and I know very very little about alot of software, programming, Linux, FreeBSD, SCSI, and water cooling.
If I don't have any useful information to add I generally just keep my mouth shut. (such is the key to wisdom, hehehe)

Last edited: