• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Active vs Passive NB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jimmy53

Hi All I have a quick question. Is getting a nice fan on my NB worth the noise? Obviously I want to crank the highest FSB possible but if a zalman passive will allow me to do that just as well than I see no reason to go with a fan. Especially since my proccesor seems to top out around 220. Thanks for the advice.

Edit: That 220 is more like 215 - 218.

Last edited:

Cyberwiz01

A fan might help, especially if your case ventilation is not that great. In my watercooled machine, i have the Zalman passive cooler, but since I don't need that much ventilation since all the heat goes out the radiator, I felt the passive cooler and it was burning hot. I put a quiet 40mm fan on there and it seems to do the trick.

Edit: Oh just realized you were on an NF7-S, 220FSB is pretty good, I dont know if putting a fan would help you get any higher. Maybe a mhz or two.

David

Forums Super Moderator
A fan is probably a good idea if case airflow isnt great. I ran my K7D with no NB fan for a while without problems, but put it back on because its like a furnace in my case.

dukat

depends on your setup. my passive NB cooler gets alot of airflow from the cpu fan, so i dont think a extra fan would help much in this case...

Vio1

i put on a cheap and quiet fan on my nb and it works well. it helps get some more air centred and passing through the fins of the nb heatsink... which is always good.

OP
J

Jimmy53

I do have a 120 almost directly over my NB but I am not certain it would suffice. I want quiet and cool but I also want to push my system. The new RAM I got is flying anyhow, I may just go for the Zalman...

glebka11

I'd say go with a fan, or improve the general case cooling.
Might be a good idea to do both.

IMO you won't be able to overclock it much more, just keep in mind.

OP
J

Jimmy53

Yeah I would be for sure about the active if I knew it would keep me stable at 215 or 10 * or whatever and that it was the difference between a fan and a plain heat sink.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Test first.

Raise the voltage to your northbridge, and see if that allows any more OC headroom. If it does not, you are better off making an improvement elsewhere.

I would bet it makes no difference for you.

OP
J

Jimmy53

F it, I am getting the zalman. It's way cheaper anyhow and I just splurged on a video card.

hawk072

Registered
Which Zalman NB heatsink are you getting? The blue NB47 will do just fine especially on an NF7-S and SP-97 combo. The heatsink is tucked right under the SP-97 and gets a good bit of airflow from from the CPU fan. This setup will definitely be better than the stock active cooling that the board came with. Plus you'll be able to ditch that horrible noisy fan that Abit uses on the NB.

OP
J

Jimmy53

Sorry Glebka.

Hawk I went with the blue one for a couple reasons. I am so happy with my new RAM that I don't even think I will have to push the FSB much more than it already is. I WILL be happy to get rid of that NB fan. One thing that I have learned about OCing since when I started is that its very loud. I bought a silenx 120 to replace the one I have on my side panel, once I am finished with this revamp I will have a side fan, a PSU fan, and a CPU fan.

Bliss.