• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adapting an existing PSU to power a hard-drive only setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrbones

Not sure where to post this, since this is sort of a mix of modding, HDD and PSU but I figure since the deciding factor here is the PSU I'll post the thread here.

I'm thinking of creating my own DIY case/enclosure to power several HDDs (not solid state) that will be used periodically for backups. To keep things simple let's say I won't leave them on ad infinitum. That is, turn system on, do my backups, power off. To power them I would like to use an ATX power supply (no info on the specs yet, I'm holding out on buying one until I know that this is possible... or not). The catch here is that I want to do this without a motherboard.

I've heard it's possible to short the green wire with a ground and wire that to a switch to turn the power supply on/off as needed. Yeah I know, I'm late to the party. Never really messed with electronics until recently. Is this a reliable, stable way to power the hard drives? Does there exist an already better established alternative to this sort of design?

Even though I've seen some powered HDD docks with Sata/usb outs for sale I'm concerned with the longevity of those units and am inclined to find a DIY solution. Besides it just makes it more fun. Thanks for your help.

I think it's not worth the effort, just get an external drive, or get a drive caddy.
Shorting green and ground works, but nt sure if it's good for drive to power it off that way..I guess it shouldn't be a problem. Since external drives just power off that way. You probably dont want to use write caching when doing it this way

.View attachment 206722

Thanks for the replies fellas,

Ultra Taco, the reason I'm shying away from externals is because I don't want to end up in a situation where I have multiple drives that need to be taken out and stored away again every time I need to do a backup. That said I do own an external right now and have no problems with it as far as its performance. I'm just looking for a "set and forget" type of setup. Thanks for the tip about write caching, I just looked it up and it would make perfect sense to disable that in case of an impromptu failure.

I also have 2 quite curious cats dwelling in my room, so that drive caddy is at the mercy of their uncanny ability to knock anything and everything standing over :) But it's a good solution otherwise.

Janus67, nice find! That rack looks like the very thing I'm trying to build from scratch, except the drives would be mounted in a case. Even comes with that ATX switch that I would have to wire myself. How is your experience with the unit so far? Doesn't look like much can go wrong here.

It works well for my needs. Sits on a wire shelf/rack next to my server. I have the PSU plugged into it with the SATA cables going into the drives and I have breakout HBA cables coming out of my PCI-E slot on the case going directly to the drives.

Sorry for the late bump

I've been doing a fair bit of research on achieving the setup described above, and to give an update I've ended up going with the separate power supply + hard drive option. I bought 2 cheap hard drives, and a new power supply (EVGA BR 500W) to test the implementation of this plan. Yeah I know the PSU is a bit overkill for what I have going on, but at least it can be used in the future to power a full system. Shorting pins 13/14 with a stripped copper cable worked like a charm. At first I was doubtful it worked, but turns out that specific PSU doesn't power on all of its fans unless it detects a certain load threshold. What that is I can't recall at the top of my head. Regardless the drives powered on without a hitch which made me pretty happy after a bit of an anxious waiting period!

I suppose the reason for my choice is knowing that PSUs are fairly bulletproof. Everything fails at one point or another but a PSU seems like a safe bet. Now all I have left is to pick out a case for the build and solder an additional power switch using the wires corresponding to the ps_on and GND wires.

Either way, I appreciate the help given in the thread. Like I mentioned that drive bay rack is a really neat design. Had I not been so stubborn I may have gone for it, but alas that's just my personality coming into play :D

No promises yet, but I would be happy to post pictures of the completed build once I get to it. Cheers!

Back