• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adaptive anti-aliasing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Redstone

Ok I see that the new ATI Tray tools has an option to enable adaptive anti-aliasing. Umm..I've been out of the loop for a while and didnt know about it. Is it all driver driven or do you need a certain type of card to take full advantage of it? Namely is my X700Pro agp compatable?

Zenoth

Heya.

I might be mistaken, since I never owned any of the ATi's previous generation GPU (X300, X600, X800, X850).

But I believe Adaptive Anti-Aliasing is a new A-A method for the X1K series (X1300, X1600, X1800), that allows minimal performance hit when enabled, and provides the same A-A quality, if not better, than regular non-Adaptive A-A.

Also, Adaptive A-A anti-aliases things like fences and a lot of angle-dependent textures (or something similar) much more efficiently than regular A-A.

Xbit Labs have an article about pretty much all of X1K features and technologies, here is the link: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-x1800.html

I think they're talking about Adaptive A-A in there, I'm not sure though.

One thing is for sure, is that Adaptive A-A is the best A-A method ATi managed to create so far.

Temporal A-A was introduced with the previous generation though, and if I am not mistaken, the Radeon 9xxx series is capable of it with Catalyst driver series 5 (5.1, 5.2, and so on). But Temporal A-A works well only when V-Sync and/or Trilinear Filtering is enabled (again I'm not sure about that, but I do know something must be activated for Temporal A-A to function properly), and is limited to 3x.

Adaptive A-A is currently limited at 6x, at least on single-GPU configurations. Although 4x Adaptive A-A is enough for most games.

I've tried 6x AAA in many games (using X1800 XL), and I saw no noticeable differences with 4x.

I mean ... when you play a game, everything is in motion, so you can't really tell if there is a difference. But if you stop completely, and take the time to look at borders and walls or your weapon on the screen or stuff like that, then you might see something. But I don't think you'll take the time to do that in a firefight in Counter-Strike, or when your base is under attack in UT 2004, or when you need to take and hold a flag in Battlefield 2.

OP
Redstone

Redstone

I just found this this article claiming it a hidden registry tweak on all ati cards 9500 and newer. http://www.elitebastards.com/page.php?pageid=12254

I didnt have to dig into the registry because ATI tray tools simply enabled it. I am going to try and run WoW tonight at 4x AAA vs 6x AA which I had been using.

maxxoverclocker

yeah there was a discussion about this earlier when it came out. it improves quality on things like fences where there are alpha levels it is essentialy nvidia's ''alpha antialiasing'' it works on all cards 9000 and up i believe (it may be 9500+)

Gabkicks

is there a way to enable this with latest 6.3 drivers with an x800gto? i dont see where to make the changes in the registry.

Yuriman

Gabkicks said:
is there a way to enable this with latest 6.3 drivers with an x800gto? i dont see where to make the changes in the registry.

Yes, download Ati Tray Tools. It didn't enable AAA on my card by default, but if you go to Advanced Tweaks, you can enable both it and High Quality AF.

jcw122

Do you need the latest drivers to do this? If so you older card owners better forget it, I found that the 4.12 drivers work best on my 9800Pro, anything above=lower FPS.

Yuriman

Yes, you do. Later drivers add stuffs like geometry instancing, adaptive anti-aliasing, and high quality AF, ect.

Gabkicks

Yuriman said:
Yes, download Ati Tray Tools. It didn't enable AAA on my card by default, but if you go to Advanced Tweaks, you can enable both it and High Quality AF.

if i use ati tray tools it screws up my antialiasing. i tried doing the registry edit and it doesnt work :(

vixro

It uses anti aliasing on textures that have transparency. Like trees that are created by a small number of polygons with transparent textures.. or fences. It will alias the lines on the fence, instead of on the outside of the true polygon. It's actually quite nice.