• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Added New System... Can't get Connection???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

llubon

Registered
Hey... Say I just added a new system to my FARM... I'm running a Linksys (4 port) router. When I'm on one of my 1st two machine I can ping the other with no probs... But... on my 3rd nothing... it does not see any of the others??? BUT if I connect directly to my broadband from #3 it works fine... I have tryed many differant combo's with no luck??? I'm stumped???

Help Please??? thx llubon

Fightingpiper

make sure you have under the DHCP tabin the router configuration page that 'NUMBER OF DHCP USERS' is set to 3 or more. You may only have it set to 2 and then it won't be able to assign a LAN ip to your new box because its only looking for two systems. This only applies if you are using DHCP to assign LAN ip's and not configuring it manually.

Hope that helps....

OP
L

llubon

Registered
Yep done that... like 3 times in differeent order... shutdown all Computers... unplug router... unplug cable... then trun on machines...then router... then cable... "NO LUCK"... I know its something simple... I have not got right set-up quite yet???
THX for the help... llubon

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
On the machine that doesn't want to network, what is the IP address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway? Are they almost the same as the other machines? (only IP address should be different)

OP
L

llubon

Registered
3rd machine... (not working) ip is 192.168.1.102 machine #2 (working) 192.168.1.101 and machine # 1 (working) 192.168.1.100
Subnet on all is 255.255.255.0
default gatway on all is 192.168.1.1

All machines running WIN XP
DHCP is enabled

HELP... thx llubon

su root

so that machine and the router are chatting, DHCP is working.

Try pinging the router. Try renewing the IP (ipconfig /renew).
Try going to the router's webpage http://192.168.1.1

OP
L

llubon

Registered
OK I have tryed pinging the router... (nodda)

I now tryed (ipconfig /renew)... and I got and error it said...
unable to connect to DHCP server... server timed out...

and I have played alittle with the linksys WWW page...

What do you think...

su root

Are the link lights showing up on both the router and on the back of the computer?

One of these is probably bad:
Bad Cable
Bad NIC
Bad Port on the Router

Try another port on the router
Replace the Cable
Replace the NIC

OP
L

llubon

Registered
Thx everyone... I FIXED-IT... when I bought a new NIC & cable... she hummmmms now... "note to self" don't buy a $5.00 NIC card in the future...

:):):) llubon

su root

Also avoid RealTek-based NICs, I've had so many problems with them.. all the $5 NICs are using them.

su root said:
Also avoid RealTek-based NICs, I've had so many problems with them.. all the $5 NICs are using them.

Realtek is kind of a standard. Thats why so many cheap cards use them. Usually a realtek chip is a good reason to buy but a $5 dollar card will only get you so far reguardless of whose chip they use.

su root

I've run into sooooo many problems with realtek's. my personal experience is that buying a decent nic for $30 will make your TCO (total cost of ownership) alot less.

su root said:
I've run into sooooo many problems with realtek's. my personal experience is that buying a decent nic for $30 will make your TCO (total cost of ownership) alot less.
There are plenty of good $30 cards that use realtek.
It is the manufacturer that makes a good card. Not the chip.

Half my NICs have realtek chips and no problems. I did have a Kingston NIC chip go bad once but it was the $5 variety.