• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Addicted!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
Abouta year and a half ago I had a dual PII 400 box dropped on my desk for my internship at (what became) my full time employer. I was so impressed with that box and with our test lab machines (all dual PII and PIII at the time, we've got a couple PIV Xeons now too) that I decided I had to have a dual. I'll probably always have a dual as the main box on my desk.

diehrd

Senior SMP Gawd
I am Addicted to duals no ..SO Addicted I have Dual Duals LMAO

Yes, Duals are my thing at the moment.
I hate to waist the resources and periphrials on a single proc machine.
I look for deals then put another together.
Its more fun than OCing.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
Yeah, I'm addicted SMP and the MSI K7D Master specifically.

It is such an awesome motherboard. Got my first one 4 or 5 months ago. Loved it so much, I've got two more since then.

cmcquistion said:
Yeah, I'm addicted SMP and the MSI K7D Master specifically.

It is such an awesome motherboard. Got my first one 4 or 5 months ago. Loved it so much, I've got two more since then.

I'll get an MSI sooner or later. Nearly got one when newegg had the refurbs but didn't seem like a low enough price for a refurb.
I'd like to get a master-L new but no funds yet.

Spec_Ops2087

I love my dualie...I have no idea how I could every have owned a single processor system...I predict my next comp will be QUADl 2.53Ghz(133FSB when they come out) Xeons :D

Spec

Henry Rollins II

When I got my first dual machine I was disappointed, I did expect more. Now that Im back on a single cpu again I cant understand how I ever could have missed the advantage of having two of them.

Henry Rollins II said:
When I got my first dual machine I was disappointed, I did expect more. Now that Im back on a single cpu again I cant understand how I ever could have missed the advantage of having two of them.

Probably the hype. When I first made a dually everyone said it was a waste of money.
When I added the second proc I was suprised because no one had given me a clue to what to expect.

They don't make a single proc fast enough to make me happy.

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
Duals are awesome. My gaming rig is a single CPU system but for everything else I use my dual Athlons.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I gotta get w2k installed so I can be a full fledged smp member. My duallie is only flappin' with one wing on 98. :(

David

Forums Super Moderator
I love duallies as well :)

When I decided a month or so ago that I was going to replace my aging Tbird 1100 rig. I costed a single Xp1800+ system and a dual XP1600+ system. The dual was going to be less than £150 extra, the only extra cost being an extra cpu and a server mobo.

I got dual XP1600+s and a K7D Master-L. It rocks.

I didnt notice at first any difference, except a few things. Mulitasking is a lot easier now. I can minimize apps and run others without a noticable slow down. I can play music, burn CDs, run folding at home, read email, browse the internet and even run 3dmark2001SE all simultaneously. Try that on a single CPU system!

I also chose a dual because I am involved with [email protected], so dual CPUs allow me to do twice the folding with one PC.

The disadvantages? Very few. Inital cost is higher, SMP capable OS is needed like Win2k/XP or Linux, and the damn thing gets hot! But I wouldnt go back. Also if I want to upgrade, I need registered DDR to use more than one slot. I have 512MB in one slot just now, unregistered. It is unlikely I will add more than another 512MB, so I am OK there. A CPU upgrade would need me to buy two CPUs. As much as I would love to upgrade to dual 2400+s when they become available, I just aint got the cash :(.

However, dual XP1600+s, 512MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti4200 Vcard and a 40Gig hard drive should last me a while. And the option is still there to upgrade the RAM, or get dual Xp2800+s, if my wallet ever stretches that far.

If you can afford the cost, and get yourself an SMP aware OS, I doubt you will be disappointed.

David

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
For what it's worth, David, you can use two sticks of unregistered RAM, after that, you have to go with Registered.

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
Henry Rollins II said:

A gaming rig too? I couldn´t ask my dual XP to be any better at games, it IS a capable game machine.

Very true. The reason isn't because of performance, but simply that I can tweak the gaming rig for the highest graphic performance possible (3dmark) while the dual has its strengths in other areas. I could easily game on my dual.

David

Forums Super Moderator
cmcquistion said:
For what it's worth, David, you can use two sticks of unregistered RAM, after that, you have to go with Registered.

Yeah, I have gone w/ one stick unregistered just now. Doubt I will ever use >2 slots.

David

Henry Rollins II

donny_paycheck said:

Very true. The reason isn't because of performance, but simply that I can tweak the gaming rig for the highest graphic performance possible (3dmark) while the dual has its strengths in other areas. I could easily game on my dual.

Aha...performance freak. :)

Dual XP1700(non-océd) + 8500LE produces fully playable and smooth running images at 1600x1200 in CS, Max Payne, Quake3 and Warcraft 3.

Imagine what it will do with XP2600´s and radeon 9700
:D :D :D