• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding 2nd processor to Win2K Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yomama

I just got a second pocessor for my server (ASUS Mobo) running W2K.

I installed it and it is seen in bios and also by MBM, however W2K seems not yet fully aware that a second processor is available (e.g. System monitor shows only one CPU graph). How can I teach W2K that there is a second CPU WITHOUT re-installing everything???

Thanks

Yo

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
Right click My Computer and choose Properties. Go to Hardware tab and and go into Device Manager. Go into the Computer listing properties. You should have either the ACPI Compliant PC (something of that sort) or Standard PC driver installed. Change this to either ACPI MultiProcessor PC or MultiProcessor PC...something of that sort...I can't remember. Reboot.

You should have both showing in Task Manager now.

Tecumseh

I don't know if jon's suggestion will work or not. It did
not work like that on our machines. The issue is that
W2K uses a different kernel for multi-processor machines.
There are some "hacks" on the various sites to convert
this, but the most reliable may be to simply re-install
the operating system. Yes, a major PITA.

David

Forums Super Moderator
Yomama said:
I just got a second pocessor for my server (ASUS Mobo) running W2K.

I installed it and it is seen in bios and also by MBM, however W2K seems not yet fully aware that a second processor is available (e.g. System monitor shows only one CPU graph). How can I teach W2K that there is a second CPU WITHOUT re-installing everything???

Thanks

Yo

Maybe you need to set up a second graph for the second CPU - I know that sometimes you need to do that in XP.

Jon

I've had 6 duallies of my own and still have 3 of them and I've done each and every one of them that way at one point or another.

If you want to reinstall...go ahead, but all you need to do is replace the single CPU HAL with the MP HAL using the way I said above.

Here's Microsoft's method if you want it official.

OP
Y

Yomama

Jon - thank you again It worked - I am now working on the machine and it detects both processors and I can run SETI using processor affinity.

Great advice

Yo

Jon

Yomama said:
Jon - thank you again It worked - I am now working on the machine and it detects both processors and I can run SETI using processor affinity.

Great advice

Yo

...and that's all that matters (the SETI part I mean, haha).

You're welcome and anytime. :]