• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

adding a HD---> updating to Win2K?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krome

I was given a Samsung SpinPoint 20 Giger, and I was wondering how to upgrade the OS from Win 98 [first edition] to Windows 2K Pro? I have tried using the Samsung as the only drive, but it crashes after it reboots. Is there anyway to update it while I'm booted on my primary harddrive? thanks!

You have to have a retail edition of the OS, not the OEM. Put the retail CD in the drive. Go to START>RUN> and type

D:\I386\winnt32.exe /checkupgradeonly (where D:\ is your CD-ROM drive letter) and let the system do an upgrade report.

If all is well, then the upgrade command is the same, but without the "/checkupgradeonly" at the end.

N_D

thanks N_D! Now I formatted the drive to NTFS, and installed windows 2000 pro, but when I try to reboot the system... all I get is the sound of the floppy working, then a blinking cursor on the top left corner of the screen. Any ideas?

Back