• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

adding linux without reformatting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kpiciulo

ok, basically i don't want to format my harddrive, i already have windows and a lot of files and programs i'd like not to lose. Can i partition the harddrive and add a linux install for a dual boot system, or if i buy a new harddrive can i have that in the same machine and have a dual boot system. Or will i have to reformat if i want this option. I already have a live CD distro, but i'd like to have a dual boot. Is this possible, thanks in advance everyone.
kevin

Tatuya

With mandrake linux, I resized one of my windows partitions (basically chopped it into two-one for windows and the other is all linux) without deleting any data period. I'm sure that the app on the included CD is readily available for DL, if only I knew what it was called and if I knew anything about Linux (I'm a TOTAL newb).

{PMS}fishy

I just ran through this with one of the other forum memebers, I can't seem to recall his name right now, but search for the post in this section.

Basically what we did was resize his NTFS partition with ntfsresive, and then delete the partion table with fdisk, recreate it as the new smaller size, and then create the needed linux partitions on top of that.

Here is the thread. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=309778

Let me know if you need help, its complicated, but not difficult.

OP
K

kpiciulo

ok, so reading the other thread, i need to do a ntfsresize as well as make a backup of the partition table, and then run cfdisk. using the commands in the other thread. This may be a dumb question but do i run these commands in the windows command prompt. do i run them using the knoppix live cd (i have one) or do i need to make a dos boot disk (i assume it's not this) I hope this isn't a dumb question. I work tommorow till 10 pm eastern time so i won't be able to get to this till later. Reading the link you sent me has already been a help, and i'm real excited to think that i'll be able to get linux without a new harddrive, or a new computer. Thanks for the help.
Kevin

Christoph

JAPH Senior
I'd love to know why we're seeing all these Linux newbies all of a sudden. It's a good thing for sure, but it seems like things have been growing with unusual speed around here lately. I have complete confidence in Mr. Gates' company to continuously supply this forum with new members, but I didn't expect this level of effectiveness. I'll have to send Microsoft a nice thank-you letter.

Back to ntfsresize. You run all those commands from some sort of Linux system. Knoppix will do nicely.

{PMS}fishy

Christoph said:
I'd love to know why we're seeing all these Linux newbies all of a sudden. It's a good thing for sure, but it seems like things have been growing with unusual speed around here lately. I have complete confidence in Mr. Gates' company to continuously supply this forum with new members, but I didn't expect this level of effectiveness. I'll have to send Microsoft a nice thank-you letter.

Back to ntfsresize. You run all those commands from some sort of Linux system. Knoppix will do nicely.

I don't know what to tell you. I still count myself as a noob to some extent. I help where I can, and tend to learn something from helping the other people with issues.

Untill you mentioned NTFSresize I hadn't tried it, or heard of it for that matter, but was able to figure out what it was all about and help another memeber on the forums. So we are all slowly progressing.

OP
K

kpiciulo

To update you, i tried to run the ntfsresize, i guess i got the syntax wrong or something...i tried ntfsresize -s 65Gbytes /dev/hda...the size is where i get confused and the help wasn't very good...if someone who already did that could explain it that'd be great...thanks
Kevin

OP
K

kpiciulo

sorry my install is taking so long, i've been busy at work (minimal time with my home computer) Anyway...i feel like such a newb...now when i try ntfsresize -s 65G /dev/hda i get a permission denied error...why would i not have permission to my own drive, this is frustrating. Do i need to change permissions in windows to then access the drive on knoppix, i wouldn't think so because knoppix loads before windows even attempts to so i can't imagine windows settings would affect it.

You all started at one point being linux newbs trying to transition from windows so i hope you can all continue being as helpful as you've been.
thanks guys
Kevin

OP
K

kpiciulo

i really appreciate the help guys. But i'm starting to get discouraged, now that i run ntfsresize as root i get "error(5) ntfs_mount failed: input/output error." Also when i try to pack up the partition table using the command in the post linked to above i get a similar input/output error. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong but i do really appreciate the help. it's off to work so even though i'll get to read the posts i won't be able to take another shot at it till about 11 30 tonight. thanks guys.
Kevin

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
FYI you can also add a HD to the system for Linux. If you're having trouble resizing partitions and don't want to have to reinstall Windows, this may be a decent option.

OP
K

kpiciulo

i did think about adding a new HD...i was hoping to do it without spending the cash, i know i can get a new HD for pretty cheap, so i may do that and then i don't need to worry about what's on my windows partition...now i did try to install mandrake (i forget the number) about 4 years ago and it said i couldn't do it b/c my windows partition took up the first 1024 bytes...is that a problem that was just with old versions...at the time i didn't know of this site and didn't have anyone to help me, so if that's not really a concern i may try a new HD. basically i just want to keep what i already have and add linux...thanks for all your help guys.
Kevin

OP
K

kpiciulo

just out of curiosity, and i know this should be in the storage section, what would be a good inexpensive harddrive, i have another SATA port on my mb, so i'd like to do that. would SATA be a waste of money. i'm really happy with my seagate so i wouldn't mind another one, but 80gb is a lot, i'm only using about half of my current 80gb drive. Thanks guys.
Kevin

{PMS}fishy

SickBoy said:
FYI you can also add a HD to the system for Linux. If you're having trouble resizing partitions and don't want to have to reinstall Windows, this may be a decent option.

Thats the easy way out ;)

ObnoxiousFrog

Registered
I absolutely hate having windows and linux on the same HD but I have quite a few 2-6 gig drives laying around. That usually seems enough for a beginners linux install... Check thrift stores, I always find interesting parts there.