• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

adding memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noble

I have a pentium III 550 mhz system with 128 dimm memory. I wan't to get some more, but I'm not sure what type should I buy. Do I have to get more of 128 dimm or can I get for example 256 dimm? Does it matter if one of them is PC100 and the other is PC133?

Fluxer

I'm fairly sure you can just add another pc100 or pc133 dimm (a 256mb module would work fine). I think pc133 can be run at pc100 but why not just get pc100 since you know that will work.

OP
noble

noble

Actually I'm not a sure if the memory I have is PC100. How do I find out? I've tried Sisoft Sandra, but I didn't find the information from it.

OP
noble

noble

Okay I checked it. It's 128MB SDRAM PC100 now, can I use PC133 instead of PC100? Because I can get it fast and cheap.

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
noble said:
Okay I checked it. It's 128MB SDRAM PC100 now, can I use PC133 instead of PC100? Because I can get it fast and cheap.

Yes ;)

If you go to ddr in the future you can mix pc2100, pc2400 (not really a standard) pc2700, pc3000, pc3200

The memory will run only as fast as the slowest stick though.

Many people like to run the same type, and brand for consistancy.

Heres an older article from Anandtech that may be helpful to you

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=66

OP
noble

noble

One more question. I've decided to get 256 DIMM memory, can I still use the older 128 with it or should I just get rid of it?

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
noble said:
One more question. I've decided to get 256 DIMM memory, can I still use the older 128 with it or should I just get rid of it?

Sure try them both, its possible you may get better Overclocking results with the one stick of 256mb, but why not try to use them both, after all 384 megs is better than 256 as long as its compatible and they get along with one another :)