• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding More Ram? Different Brand?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

Hi,
Ive been thinking of adding additional sticks of ram to my setup and was wondering if it would be possible to use different companies and performance ram in a single system: ex.... using my ram in the sig with Kingwin pc4000 2x512mb ram.

I know ideally it would be best to have the same ram and performance ram in the same system, but what are the issues that may result in this situation?

roll+call

don't think the pc4000's would be able to keep up with the timings of the corsair at whatever the highest fsb you could get out of those corsairs. Unfamiliar with it but as a general rule of thumb the modules in the pc4000's can't do very tight timings. High fsb but the pc3500's would then limit that.
The bigger issue I think would be that you couldn't run dual channel with 2x512 & 2x256... (correct me if I'm wrong here)

OP
V

Vio1

why wouldnt you be able to run dual channel? if I have 4 sticks of ram, I put two on each channel.... wouldnt that work?
As to timings... would running my computer at higher fsb with 1:1 (and loose timings) be better then running my computer at high fsb with 3:4 (or is it 4:3) and tight timings?

If I was to purchase new ram... and want to run my computer at 1:1, which should I get?

roll+call

mrspec3 said:
You can run DC with 2x256 and 2x512 :D
Don't the sizes of the ram in each channel have to match? So if you've got 2x256=512 in one channel, then you'd only be able to run dual channel with only one extra 512 (or another 2x256 in another channel). I didn't think you could run DC w/ one having 512 and the other 1024..

matttaylor

logically speaking, if he put 1 512 and 1 256 in each channel it would be fine for dual channel. but then the speed and timing situation comes into play. We won't know for sure until he tries it.

mrspec3

I've done it before. 2x256MB in dual channel and the 2x512MB in dual channel. Sandra membench runs a bit funny but it's all good. I've done the same on an AMD XP board where I ran a 256MB stick and 512MB stick of ram together in DC :D

Steve

OP
V

Vio1

wouldnt this work:

slot1a slot2a slot1b slot2b
512mb 256mb 512mb 256mb

and again...As to timings... would running my computer at higher fsb with 1:1 (and loose timings) be better then running my computer at high fsb with 3:4 (or is it 4:3) and tight timings?

OP
V

Vio1

Okay, I am purchasing OCZ PC3500 EB 2x512mb of ram. Will I be able to use my corsair PC3500 2x256 as well? Any problems with having them all run at once? The timings seem to be rather close and my Corsair are BH-5.

What are your opinions?

mrspec3

Yea it should all work. Running 4 sticks will lower the max OC you can get by quite a bit since the memory controller is stressed a lot more....but you get some you loose some

Steve

roll+call

IMO, probably not. at least not yet.
I haven't even noticed *much* of a difference between 512 and a gig :p
But I didn't play farcry when I only had 512 either :D

mrspec3

I would just use the PC3500EB and maybe sell the other ram or put it in another system. 1GB of ram will do anything you need it to right now

Steve