• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding to Dual Channel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Billnov

Registered
Hey all!

Need you help again in answering a memory question. I currently use 2 256 HyperX 3500 in Dual Channel mode. I want to add to this but not sure how much of a performance hit I would take with the following:

Add 1 stick of 512K to my current total of 512 in Dual Channel

Add 2 sticks totalling 512 K of Kingston Value Ram 3200 running them also in Dual Channel with my existing DC HyperX

Sure, if I had the money now, I would simply go with adding 2 sticks of HyperX 3500 memory, but will be paying Xmas bills for quite some time. Thanks all

Bill

9mmCensor

Disabled
You will want to keep the same speed of RAM because if you have different ones , it simply uses the lowest speeds. eg 1 stick of DDR 333 and DDR 400, and the mobo will use it as 2 sticks of DDR 333 .

Como

if its AMD, just grab a stick of 512megs and put it in one channel, throw the 2X256 in the other 2, that should be the most effecient way to get dual channel ram in an amd baord, with a gig...(correct me if i'm wrong here)

and yes, note that it will run at the speed of the slowest, so consider upgrading...

and of course, this is probly different for an intel, i know nothing about them, my newest intell is a 166MHZ AT.

OP
B

Billnov

Registered
Its the Abit IS-7 with 4 slots. I know that the system will only go as fast as the slowest memory speed, but wanted to know what performance hits i would take by adding just one mem stick to a dual channel config, assuming same speed, and secondaly, if i bought 2 of the same sticks, although this time the kingston value memory at 3200 to add to my hyperx 3500. In either case, would I see a noticable drop in performance and which would you recommend. Thanks!