• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding wireless

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JFAB199

Registered
I was thinking about adding a wireless connection for my laptop, I currently have a linksys 4 port router and was wondering if I could just get a wap to connect to the ext port on the router, also any hardware recomendations would be welcome

oh yeah and I'm looking for the cheapest solution, and laptop doesnt have wireless so a card would have to be added as well

Most wireless hubs have rj45 too, so you would just replace what you have now altogether. I got a cheapo $60 AP with 4 LAN ports as well.

any suggestions for pcmia cards, I want one that has a antenna jack as well

JFAB199 said:
how can I tell if it has an antenna jack?

on laptop cards, it's usually a mini-coaxial looking port. It looks like the kind of port that's on the back of your television, but a much smaller diameter.

On large Access points (that have large aerial antennas) they have standard size coaxial antenna connections.

I'm sure that there are laptop cards with external coaxial antenna connectors, but i personally have not seen any.

Back