• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

adv. CPU questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bmxpunk86pl

the registers are places to hold data while the cpu is working on them right? Are the registers the cache? if i have more cache on my cpu does the amount of registers increase?

Will x86 Assembly work on a AMD cpu, or on a 64-bit cpu?

David

Forums Super Moderator
Bmxpunk86pl said:
the registers are places to hold data while the cpu is working on them right? Are the registers the cache? if i have more cache on my cpu does the amount of registers increase?

Will x86 Assembly work on a AMD cpu, or on a 64-bit cpu?

Assembly is very CPU specific I think. Registers are not cache, a Duron with little cache will likely have the same registers as a Athlon with lots more cache.

Registers are used when doing calculations - the data is stored temporarily in these registers.

Ridenow

Sneaky Moderator
It has been a while, but I think I remember. Penguin(David) is correct. Registers are not cache.

I think that x86 assembly will work on AMD chips, but will NOT work on 64bit.

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
Ridenow...

First thing is that when ever I'm in doubt about a tech issue I try www.webopedia.com first, second it of course google....

As to your question. The registry is not the same as the cache, you can think of the registry as residing much closer to the CPU. The registry feeds the CPU it's next calculation and the pieces of the calculation, which it gets from memory, the cache (level 1 or 2), or a cache on another component.

Cheers,
Wedo