• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice for a new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If I stay with Intel, what you guys think about this rig?

CPU:
Intel Core i7-7820X Skylake-X 8-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 2066 140W BX80673I77820X Desktop Processor:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117794

Motherboard:
ASUS TUF X299 MARK 2 LGA2066 DDR4 M.2 USB 3.1 X299 ATX Motherboard for Intel Core i9 and i7 X-Series Processors:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132994

RAM:
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C15D-16GTZR

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820232475

Total 1,500 with tax included.

I can also go for a cheaper motherboard if the one I have is a bit overkill. I'm open for recommendations :)

Select parts that you need, the intel 7820 is a better CPU then a 1800x or 1700x but also quite a bit more expensive, in this case due the price of mobos. When choosing a mobo select the features you want based on your needs, sadly I cannot answer that since I have no idea what peripherals your using. Only thing I know is that your going to use it for encoding and gaming. Although encoding might be done better with a better gpu first unless your also going to use CPU intensive tasks.
In terms of performance the 7820 is better by quite a margin, however a ryzen offers the best performance/price ratio. Based on that you need to choose which of the 2 you want. Make a few builds with the components and select which one can offer you the best performance/budget.

The Swiftech H240X (any of its versions) works pretty well, and is expandable. It will support without issue a couple of extra rads and a full GPU block.

I use it for the last 18months, with extra rad and CPU block, and it does the same job as a custom loop (as it uses the same components).

And it is on sales on the Swiftech website! (Can get the H240X for a 100 bucks).
http://www.swiftech.com/aio.aspx

Honestly, I'm stuck on which route to go lol. Stay with Intel, or move on to AMD. I'm sure whatever choice I make, it'll be far superior than what I currently have. AMD route is a bit cheaper for a fast CPU. Intel route is a bit more expensive for a fast CPU and I'm sure built better.

Hmmmmm decisions... decisions...

- - - Updated - - -

The Swiftech H240X (any of its versions) works pretty well, and is expandable. It will support without issue a couple of extra rads and a full GPU block.

I use it for the last 18months, with extra rad and CPU block, and it does the same job as a custom loop (as it uses the same components).

And it is on sales on the Swiftech website! (Can get the H240X for a 100 bucks).
http://www.swiftech.com/aio.aspx

Just bookmarked the website. Thanks a ton! :)

Built better, not really.

Ryzen 2 will be out next year and you have an upgrade path with the AM4 socket, while Inbtel, you know... New line, new chipset!

But a 8700K is almost as good at multi threading, and much better at single thread, thanks to higher IPC (marginally) and much higher clock.

Agreed, not an easy choice.

Built better, not really.

Ryzen 2 will be out next year and you have an upgrade path with the AM4 socket, while Inbtel, you know... New line, new chipset!

But a 8700K is almost as good at multi threading, and much better at single thread, thanks to higher IPC (marginally) and much higher clock.

Agreed, not an easy choice.

Any word on when the Ryzen 2 will be released? If anything I'll hold off for a bit before dropping down some serious $$. I just saw some comparison between the i7 7820X and 1800X. From what i saw through benchmarks, it's a 5% difference in performance. Intel is a bit better. Is 5% worth the extra $200? Don't think so :p Also I was seeing in the video the 7820X runs hotter as well. I guess I made up my mind... AMD it is... Been always a AMD fan, but when Intel took the game by storm, I moved on. Seems like AMD is back :)

late 2018, early 2019 it seems.

Damn... Okay well I guess I have a lot of time to save up some $$. Lets hope my current rig doesn't fail on me anytime soon lol. If it does, I'll just get the 1800x and upgrade later if I need to :)

Last edited:
Its all speculation. Perhaps a bit better overclocking.. perhaps some process improvements...but i wouldnt bet on much.

If you are ready.. build now. Id also go coffee lake and get a 8700k unless you need more than 6c/12t..

Its all speculation. Perhaps a bit better overclocking.. perhaps some process improvements...but i wouldnt bet on much.

If you are ready.. build now. Id also go coffee lake and get a 8700k unless you need more than 6c/12t..

Yeah the 1800x with the 8 cores has me interested. Plus the price you can't beat it. Is the AM4 socket going to stay for awhile? AMD isn't like Intel always changing up things to screw us each time lol. Reason why I ask is because if I get the 1800x and the new AMD chip comes out. I'd like to upgrade if it's worth it at that point.

Amd promised that am4 would last 4 years
https://www.google.be/amp/s/www.pcw...cture-is-expected-to-last-four-years.amp.html

Also upgrading within 3-4 years is often unnecessary unless you build workstations or servers. For gaming and small time encoding not related to a professional environment it's debatable if it it's worth it. I upgraded to my current system for its features the X99 offered over my sandy bridge and my mobo had a damaged PCI-e slot. Otherwise I would've waited another year orso, this was before Ryzen/TR sadly.

Last edited:
Amd promised that am4 would last 4 years
https://www.google.be/amp/s/www.pcw...cture-is-expected-to-last-four-years.amp.html

Also upgrading within 3-4 years is often unnecessary unless you build workstations or servers. For gaming and small time encoding not related to a professional environment it's debatable if it it's worth it. I upgraded to my current system for its features the X99 offered over my sandy bridge and my mobo had a damaged PCI-e slot. Otherwise I would've waited another year orso, this was before Ryzen/TR sadly.

Very true. Well for me it's been 8 years since I built my rig. It does need some updating. Going to upgrade the cpu/mobo/ram first before anything. Then eventually gpu few months after. My psu seems good no issues, so I'll keep it. So when I build this new rig, hopefully it'll last me the same amount of time my current rig lasted me :p.

If you can actually use the 8 cores, its worth it. Otherwise, don't jump on the 'futureproofing' bandwagon. ;)

Quick question. My PSU is AX860i. So I assume 860 watt :p Good enough for this AMD build?

Yes, 550 is usually already plenty for a single gpu build. Otherwise check outer vision or PSU websites for a calculator.

Awesome good news :) Just installed the Corsair Link... Didn't know about this application for 8 years lmao. Pretty neat. Shows the 3 rails to the PSU and how much watts are being used. Looks like not even 200 watts are being used for the 3 rails in total lol.

Awesome good news :) Just installed the Corsair Link... Didn't know about this application for 8 years lmao. Pretty neat. Shows the 3 rails to the PSU and how much watts are being used. Looks like not even 200 watts are being used for the 3 rails in total lol.

Full load? Bit overkill PSU you have there ;), runs cooler aswell. Didn't know about that software either, my previous PSU was a Corsair 750TX

Full load? Bit overkill PSU you have there ;), runs cooler aswell. Didn't know about that software either, my previous PSU was a Corsair 750TX

Nah no load. It's sitting idle. I think my PSU is a bit overkill lolllll. When I bought it 8 years ago I wanted it to be 'future proof' lol.

- - - Updated - - -

12.jpg

Back