• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jokkmokk

Registered
I am thinking of going RAID now again after two years without it and need some advice. Last time I had RAID was with two IBM "Deathstars" which I finally gave up on (to many crashes) and bought this Seagate 80 GB I still am running.
I need more storage and I am thinking of going RAID since i remember the amazing speed. How safe is it to run SATA RAID nowadays? Any crashes? I cant tolerate the regular crashes like my old IBM:s gave me.

I am thinking of this setup:

2 x SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.7 120GB 8MB SATA
1 x Adaptec Raid-1200A ATA100 2-channel Highpoint HPT370

What do you say about that? Any other recommendations? Or should i reconsider and buy one single harddrive?

Cornel

I don't think there is any point in making a SATA RAID with the harddrives you chose. There won't be any performance increase when compared to a IDE RAID and that's because the hard drives are limited by the mechanical parts in them. So I would say don't pay the extra premium for SATA hard drives (unless you change your mind and go for two Raptors)

OP
J

Jokkmokk

Registered
The reason why I selected the SATA ones is that I can get them for the same price as normal IDE-drives. The reason why I chose Seagate is that they are supposed to make the most quiet disks out there in my price-range.
Raptors... arent they 10000rpm (=noise)?

Does anybody have any experiences with similiar setups?

Cornel

Your setup should be ok then...
I was thinking mostly at the fact that you can get IDE hard drives at very low prices (after MIR) at your local retail store. I got 2 WD800JB for 50 dollars each, they are running in SATA RAID0 (Silicon Image Sil3114 onboard controller) using this adapter. Everything is fine so far... And fast:attn: