• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on a upcoming build please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for the information as yes good case airflow and temperature are definitely concerns for me, ok so with the new knowledge in mind. This is the current case i'd like to get with fan placements and assignment, So I'd be better off more like this;

airflow.jpg

that's not going to flow very well, nor in the correct direction, not that it's going to be a huge issue for you.
in this style of case the best flow is front/bottom, in rear/top, out.

that's not going to flow very well, nor in the correct direction, not that it's going to be a huge issue for you.
in this style of case the best flow is front/bottom, in rear/top, out.

This. You want airFLOW.

Well that goes back toward what I originally had proposed which was in from both bottom front and out rear and top. So should I go ahead and maybe put the radiator exhausting top and have front/bottom just straight intakes? I wanted to have the radiator getting direct fresh intake but not a must, just seems like it would better getting fresh air on the radiator.

Either way works with the radiator.

Just know if the radiator is an intake, your case temp will be higher, which will raise your GPU/socket temp slightly.

Yea thats what I want to avoid is raising overall temp inside the case. So what about this setup, this is about the best I can do without changing cases which I'd like to avoid if I can.

pic7.jpg

Quick question, where do you plan on mounting your PSU? From the looks of that diagram it would appear you plan on doing a bottom mount with your PSU being an exhaust.

It will be bottom mounted and intake from bottom, exhaust rear, it's airflow should be completely isolated from the rest of the case airflow. I might potentially get the Core X31 in which it will also be covered as that model comes with the PSU shroud.

pic7.jpg

Last edited:
Yea looks like the best way to get a positive air pressure situation with my desired components, although I think I will have all the intakes be 120mm so I can buy a bundle of fans, try and get them a little cheaper as I'll need 8 of them.

Nothing wrong with using 120's at all!
Since you're only shooting for 4
5 do take a look at some air coolers though, as I mentioned before. Could save you a lot of cash.

with the 6 core cpu you don't really need the fan under the cpu socket unless your going for an extreme overclock, it will do you better if you use that fan to cool the vrm section of the motherboard.

I mislabeled the 70mm as being on the northbridge, that would actually be for the vrm. So there will a 50mm on the back of the socket as well. And in the end I'll probably push them as far as they will let me push them safely.

*Edited picture above to reflect correct label*

So after looking at the marks the NH-D14 pulls down I am sold, the big brown monster is in lol, figured why let that saved money go to waste not being used :clap: Put it towards higher quality case fans and another Noctua P12 to put on the cooler. Do you think I should still maybe cool vrm area or the back of the cpu socket? So this is the reimagined case airflow, thoughts?

air.jpg

Too much air going in and not enough going out IMO, try to have roughly the same number in and out ?

But I thought I should be going for a positive air pressure situation?

Get one more going out. As long as you have more going in than out, even if it's only by a single fan, it's still positive. Touched up on my case airflow knowledge today and after reading some articles and examining some example diagrams in my free time I realize I was remembering incorrectly on the ratios of intake to exhaust. 4 intake with, say, one exhaust is positive but can still have a negative impact. The more air you bring in the more fans you wanna have to vent it out so it is in fact airFLOW, as ATMINSIDE said. My bad. :D

Ok so this will be the final layout with the fans i'm going to get unless i'm missing something.

air.jpg

Back