• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice On cooling a 8500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

borito4

Current Setup:
Xfx 780i MB
e8500 @ 3.3 with this cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185044
BFG gtx 260 non-oc version
4gb (2x2gb) 1066 ocz ram
74gb Raptor, 500gb WD, 2x 750gb Segate
Lite-on Sata lightscribe
XCLIO A380PLUS-BK
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103014

Right now i don't have the fan on the heat sink, nor do i have the side of the case attached. My ambient room temp is ~75f. I have my e8500 with this heat sink attached with AS5, and the heat sink is right in front of a 120mm exhaust fan. Besides attaching the fan and closing the case (im waiting for a replacement 360mm fan) What can i do to reduce my e8500's Temp? It idles at about 44-46 right now and about 65 load without side or fan. Ill be putting the fan back on shortly.

Hmm my E8600 idles at 48c to 51c with a Lapped TRUE.Its a hot mofo.When i run my widow AC the temps drop a bit.you could lap the IHS and the scythe.Plus add a nice medium speed fan

OK i think i can fit 2 fans on the heat sink.
Then its going to be like (from inside of case towards the back)
100mm heat sink 100mm 120mm. the 100 and 120 will be almost next to eachother

Hm. And im running a e0 rev 8500. I think my MB set my voltage a little high. Whats the stock Vcore on one of these?

My C0 E8500 idles at 31 fully loaded hits 54 with 22 degrees c ambient

I'm using a TRUE with 2 x 120mm push-pull fans

I'm OCed to 4.0 ghz at 1.36v

I really really recommend the true after this experience with it

Why are my temps so bad .Ive never had any luck with the TRUE and ive had 3.I also had a 1283 which was better than my TRUE as was my Ultima 90.I just cant figure it out why everyone else gets such great temps and mine always suck.My TRUE is Lapped and has two 77cfn yateloons on it right now.The extra fan did drop my temps about 4c.I was idling at 55c:cry: now im anywere from 48 to 51c but my load temps havent went over 67c.Another thing that gets me is im using a lot less voltage than most at the same OC level.My sensors arent stuck because at default settings it idle's at 35c.And when loaded 54c,

Why are my temps so bad .Ive never had any luck with the TRUE and ive had 3.I also had a 1283 which was better than my TRUE as was my Ultima 90.I just cant figure it out why everyone else gets such great temps and mine always suck.My TRUE is Lapped and has two 77cfn yateloons on it right now.The extra fan did drop my temps about 4c.I was idling at 55c:cry: now im anywere from 48 to 51c but my load temps havent went over 67c.Another thing that gets me is im using a lot less voltage than most at the same OC level.My sensors arent stuck because at default settings it idle's at 35c.And when loaded 54c,

I hate to say it, but you could have just gotten unlucky with your latest chip. As to why you've had trouble with TRUEs in the past, I can't say.
I didn't bother with any lapping, and I used the thermal paste that came with my TRUE black.

Yeah what therm paste are you using with your cooler? Are you sure you have your fans in push/pull or are both in 1 direction?

Ah ok. I personally have used AS5 for as long as i can remember. What about your fans?

Thats really strange. What case do you have and what are your intake/outake fans in it.

CM 690 with two Blue LED Masscool 120x25mm fans with 79.8 cfm but i have them on my sunbeam rheostat oh yeah + 1 coolermaster blue LED fan on the side .Something like 21cfm i think it said on the coolermaster site

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150066

No big deal im gonna reinstall my Swiftech h20 220 Compact.That will handle it just fine.And the true is going in the trash..lol Just kidding

giga, you are either using too much paste (use very thin just enough to cover cpu) or bolting down HSF unevenly.

Yeah, you have a much better cooling setup than me, and your temps are much higher.

Hmm maybe.Whats the best way to apply paste to a Dual core?I just put a little pea on the cpu then sat the heatsink down on it to make sure i had a even spread and it looked good so then i mounted the TRUE(for the third time)It bolted evenly i screw one screw at a time one full turn then i jump to the screw across from it in an X patern so it should be ok

Back