• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on my new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PolePosition

It's been almost 10 years with my listed system, and time to upgrade.
I have really enjoyed the longevity and durability of my TUF Asus Sabertooth MB, so I'm considering a newer version, but need advice on which CPU and sticks of RAM.

Here is what I'm looking at.

for starters.
Plan to reuse my Lian Li case and PSU, or should I buy a new PSU after using this one for 10 years?
My Achieva Shimian monitor is also still very good, but requires a DVI connection, so may reuse my current GPU, which is an MSI MSI N750TI-2GD5/OC G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card. It's not much, but has worked the longest.

A TUF/sabertooth from 10 years ago isn't the same as a TUF today. They are well on the budget side of the house. That said, they aren't bad, but wanted to give some 2022 perspective.

I'd go DDR5 if you plan on keeping this for another decade. At the end of its life you'll want every percent of performance you can get. The problem is finding a kit at at a reasonable price...but since this is a several year long purchase, i think its worth the intial captial. I'll assume you're looking at 64GB because as you're not upgrading RAM? If you go ddr5, maybe you can use 2x16gb for now then when the platform matures and is expiring for most, you can upgrade to some dirt cheap, faster and more if needed.

As far as the cpu... tough to tell, honestly without knowing how you use your PC. Again... for a several/decaede long thing, id get 12900 most cores/threads/speed you can get. I'd guess not gaming if you're keeping a 750ti... but mkre deets would help. If you're just web browsing/email and web gaming for up to 10 years you may be able to get away with less outgoing on the ram now.

Edit: I also assume you're going to get an m.2 drive for storage and perhaps a modern (but faster than everything in your sig) and hugher capacity ssd? You can move the raptor to warm/cold storage and enjoy the freshness!

You'll need a new cooler too... corsair h80 won't cut it I'm afraid... and not sure it fits this socket anyway.

Last edited:
Great advice on the DDR5, and probably only need 32 GBs instead of 4 sticks, but not sure if the DDR5 is compatible with that TUF board since it says DDR4.
I use this desktop for a wide range of needs, from business and personal use to playing 4 separate browser games at the same time, using tab browsing with both google and Comodo IceDragon, which now bogs down my current system and causes the CPU to reach 80 degree Celsius temps and shuts down. For the moment, I only can play one game / one world at a time to keep temps under 50C
I also figured I need to upgrade to Windows 11 too, rather than migrate, so can start clean.
I've been out of the loop on tech for a long time, so not so up to date on all this new tech.
Do you think I can reuse my GPU / monitor (DVI hookup) with the slot provided on that MB ?
I selected that CPU due to the low 65w power drain, yet can draw more under higher loads / demand. Was just thinking it might run cooler for my needs. I also have already purchase a sealed water cool unit similar to the Intel I once had, but replaced with a Corsair model, but at times sounds like the bearing is wearing out.
You're right though, I am a "once in a decade builder" and like to get the full value for the money I spend on this.
Post magically merged:

but mkre deets would help
not sure what you're saying there.

but not sure if the DDR5 is compatible with that TUF board since it says DDR4.
Nope. It isnt. You'd need a ddr5 board... there's a ddr5 tuf... but it may be z690 based (and more expensive). Ddr5 is 2x16gb or 2x32gb... but sounds like 2x16gb is all you need. If you get a non overclocking board (not z690) you're limited to 4800. Otherwise, ddr5 5600 cl36/38 is a sweetspot.

Do you think I can reuse my GPU / monitor (DVI hookup) with the slot provided on that MB ?
Yep.

Get a new AIO...one built for the platform. At least 2x120/140 size.

not sure what you're saying there.
That was supposed to say, 'more details would help' (typo..I'm mobile).

You'll need a new cooler too... corsair h80 won't cut it I'm afraid... and not sure it fits this socket anyway.
I've already purchased and have this on hand

I've already purchased and have this on hand
I mean... its ok... but as I said above, I wouldnt go less than 2x120mm if possible with 12900. If you get a lesser cpu (I wouldnt) it should be ok. ;)

I mean... its ok... but as I said above, I wouldnt go less than 2x120mm if possible with 12900. If you get a lesser cpu (I wouldnt) it should be ok. ;)
I bought that some time ago as a backup to the h80, as the bearing in the pump was squealing. Compatible with both platforms,.
The trouble with that 2x120 radiator is fitting it into my case. I might be able to mount the radiator at the top instead of the back, but will be a close fit at the top of the MB.
Speaking of, I found this, but the price as you said is like getting close to double what I listed above.
I may need to upgrade my PSU given the new connection to this board? As compared to the main connection 10 years ago.
Post magically merged:

if possible with 12900
That's like the fastest / best of the best, and most highest priced. Do I really need that much CPU power when my current 3820 still seems quite fast?

Last edited:
The trouble with that 2x120 radiator is fitting it into my case. I might be able to mount the radiator at the top instead of the back, but will be a close fit at the top of the MB.
Speaking of, I found this, but the price as you said is like getting close to double what I listed above.
Yep. But that doesn't change the heat requirements of the CPU. At full tilt it's close to a 200W chip (12700). It will be fine with your use scenarios, I'd imagine, but, if you're hanging on to things for so long, might as well go all out within your budget. But between the mobo and ddr5, that budget is already a lot higher than it was. But, I would hate to buy into this platform with DDR4 and have it for a decade...maybe that's just me?

I may need to upgrade my PSU given the new connection to this board? As compared to the main connection 10 years ago.
Nothing has changed... 4/8 pin EPS (perhaps 2) and 24-pin ATX for the mobo. What are you talking about specifically?

Don't think such a CPU exist, as I'm only seeing 12700, at least on Newegg
Maybe it's an OEM part...?

I guess the only other option is the 12900K...which makes sense with a Z690 motherboard anyway (both overclock - not that you do, but the combo can).

With the new Intel CPUs, I'm noticing some things I'm not too familiar with, like "8P 8E" on the 12900, as opposed to the "8P 4E" on the 12700.
Then there is also these brands of Intel, such as Alder Lake, Rocket Lake, Comet Lake, not sure about the difference between them.
My current system and 3820 only has 4 cores, while that 12900 has 16 cores, and 12 cores with a 12700
For a MB, CPU, and 32GB of Ram, maybe another AIO cooler, I was trying to stay under $1k

Check out our review. It covers that high level info. ;)

At an even higher level, intel went with Performance cores and Efficiency cores with Alder Lake CPUs. Alder Lake is the code name for the latest 12th generation chips. Comet lake and rocket Lake before that. Just different generations (we've got reviews on thise as well).

If you go 12700, a b660 board, 2x16gb ddr5 4800 cl36 shoukd be under. Just know that route doesn't overclock and you can upgrade capacity not speed.

Check out our review. It covers that high level info. ;)

At an even higher level, intel went with Performance cores and Efficiency cores with Alder Lake CPUs. Alder Lake is the code name for the latest 12th generation chips. Comet lake and rocket Lake before that. Just different generations (we've got reviews on thise as well).

If you go 12700, a b660 board, 2x16gb ddr5 4800 cl36 shoukd be under. Just know that route doesn't overclock and you can upgrade capacity not speed.
Probably won't need to upgrade speed for another 10 years since I never upgraded my speed nor overclocked my i7 3820 over the past 10 years.
You basically can see what my needs are here, that being I want a significant upgrade, but don't really need the latest and greatest out there, and not really a power user / bench tester / bitcoin miner, etc like many on this site. Kinda like buying a new vehicle, where I would never buy a brand new one, but rather one that is a year old and low mileage, with significant savings on cost, but just as good imo.
What is a b660 board? Please excuse my not being so up to date on tech.
What do you think of the MSI board?

If you're just running bone stock with a 12700, then any motherboard that fits your needs/requirements will work. A current 'sweetspot' for memory is somewhere around DDR5 5600 CL36... grab 2x16GB of that.

B660 is the chipset name.... like Z690. However, B660 H670, and H610. B660 and H610 can overclock (take memory past the max base frequency of 4800) memory only, while H610 can't overclock anything.

DDR5-6000 is only about $30 more than DDR5-5600, so go for 32GB DDR5-6000 for $400. You can pick up an Asus or MSI Z690 DDR5 motherboard for $200, so that's $600 plus the i7-12700F for $350. That puts you at $1,000 including shipping and tax. You could pay quite a bit more for a higher-end Z690 but I don't see the point with a non-K CPU.

Rather than pay the premium for newly released DDR5, I just reused my 32GB DDR4-3200 and picked up a $100 Asus H610 motherboard for now to go with my i7-12700F. It runs great, so when DDR5 becomes mainstream, and prices drop I can always upgrade. I set PL 1 power limit to 175W so it doesn't power throttle which is also about the limit that my 240mm AIO can handle.

My finalized build

I went well over what I initially planned on spending, but decided Earthdog made a good point in investing the capital to get the newest tech on the market. Couldn't fit the AIO cooler I need for this into my old case

My finalized build

I went well over what I initially planned on spending, but decided Earthdog made a good point in investing the capital to get the newest tech on the market. Couldn't fit the AIO cooler I need for this into my old case
Double check that cooler. It does not list LGA 1700 on its compatibility list.

1700.png

I would also look at an M.2 drive, they can be had for almost the same price.

Giant +1 to above.

Although Lian Li likely has a 1700 kit, it makes sense to buy one fresh that has everything you need.

I also agree on the storage drive. You upgraded capacity, but not speed over 10 years ago. Might as well go for PCIe M.2 for your OS(fast). A 2.5" SSD is so 2015 (regardless if the difference IRL isn't much between a SATA SSD and PCIe SSD). :p

Worth noting, you don't remotely need a 850W PSU for this system. You put a potato (for gaming) graphics card in that sips on power and the CPU is ~180W. I'd looking for something in the 650W range which should save you a few bucks you can put towards that M.2 PCIe SSD. 650W is also plenty to drive this system with a more capable mid-range graphics card too.

Last edited:
Yeah, the M.2 is the way to go. No cables to hide. I went with a tower cooler because I didn't want to keep up with AIO, that's just me.

*Raises hand*

I may be overthinking things here, but you want to stick with that Achieva Shimian in the OP, right? 1440p? Did some searching, it needs a dual link DVI port. That 1030 only has a single link port, which I believe only supports up to 1080p. Took a look around Newegg and it actually looks like most of the 1030s only have SL DVI ports.

You might be able to use a passive adapter from the HDMI port but I had a pair of QNIX panels that were similar in the sense that they were basic off brand Korean displays (not saying that as a downside, I agree that they are great for the price) and also had DL DVI ports and *only* DL DVI ports. The downside is that the QNIX panels required active adapters if not being fed a DL DVI-D signal from the source, and I can't find much on the AS displays. If Achieva went the same way in that sense, that gets tricky.

If it were me, and if I were sticking with the AS display, I'd swap the 12700F with a 12700K to get the onboard graphics, drop the discrete card all together, and grab an active adapter. The 1030 looks to be slightly beefier than the 770 iGPU but like ED said it's not exactly a monster of a card so IMO you're not losing much.

Last edited:
Double check that cooler. It does not list LGA 1700 on its compatibility list.

View attachment 215777

I would also look at an M.2 drive, they can be had for almost the same price.
The ASUS TUF MB is drilled for both LGA 1700 and 1200 cooling brackets
I already had that storage drive and never used it, so I can't return it.

Last edited:
Giant +1 to above.

Although Lian Li likely has a 1700 kit, it makes sense to buy one fresh that has everything you need.

I also agree on the storage drive. You upgraded capacity, but not speed over 10 years ago. Might as well go for PCIe M.2 for your OS(fast). A 2.5" SSD is so 2015 (regardless if the difference IRL isn't much between a SATA SSD and PCIe SSD). :p

Worth noting, you don't remotely need a 850W PSU for this system. You put a potato (for gaming) graphics card in that sips on power and the CPU is ~180W. I'd looking for something in the 650W range which should save you a few bucks you can put towards that M.2 PCIe SSD. 650W is also plenty to drive this system with a more capable mid-range graphics card too.
I wouldn't even know where to begin to look for such a M2 thing. Helps to provide examples, if you can find one.
Post magically merged:

*Raises hand*

I may be overthinking things here, but you want to stick with that Achieva Shimian in the OP, right? 1440p? Did some searching, it needs a dual link DVI port. That 1030 only has a single link port, which I believe only supports up to 1080p. Took a look around Newegg and it actually looks like most of the 1030s only have SL DVI ports.

You might be able to use a passive adapter from the HDMI port but I had a pair of QNIX panels that were similar in the sense that they were basic off brand Korean displays (not saying that as a downside, I agree that they are great for the price) and also had DL DVI ports and *only* DL DVI ports. The downside is that the QNIX panels required active adapters if not being fed a DL DVI-D signal from the source, and I can't find much on the AS displays. If Achieva went the same way in that sense, that gets tricky.

If it were me, and if I were sticking with the AS display, I'd swap the 12700F with a 12700K to get the onboard graphics, drop the discrete card all together, and grab an active adapter. The 1030 looks to be slightly beefier than the 770 iGPU but like ED said it's not exactly a monster of a card so IMO you're not losing much.
I was trying to find a card to have as a backup rather than use my old one. If it don't work, I may have to return it.
So very hard trying to find compatible components.
I don't want anymore "monster" cards. Those things burn up after a year or two, and I've had to replace 2 of them over the past for the one I have (750ti) which has been very durable.

Last edited:
Back