• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on PC steering wheel and pedals

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

As title says, need advice, wife's birthday is coming up and she really wants a set of steering wheel and pedals for her car games like Project:Cars and Carmageddon - Reincarnation. She wants it to be as realistic as possible but we don't really have the space for an arcade style booth, so it will have to be something to attach to her desk i assume. Her specs are below. Help :D

FX-4300, 5ghz 1.43v
Hyper 212 EVO - SP120 LED 120mm x2
Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0
MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti - N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC
2x4gb Corsair Vengeance LP - 9-9-9-24 1600mhz
Crucial M4-CT064M4SSD2 64gb
WD10EZEX 7200rpm 1TB
Corsair TX750
NZXT S340 - AF140-LED x3 - AF120-LED x1
AG Neovo F417 17"
Windows 10 TH2 Pro 64bit

Logitech G920, unless you're willing to drop serious cash.
If you are, let me know, I have other high-end suggestions.

Driving stick bought separately ? £180 + £50 on Amazon, had no idea these things were so expensive. Can you give the other option as well then, I'll let her choose :)

Driving stick bought separately ? £180 + £50 on Amazon, had no idea these things were so expensive. Can you give the other option as well then, I'll let her choose :)

If you think the G920 is expensive you don't want to see the other option, but here you go...

Wheel base:
http://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/wheel-bases/clubsport-wheel-base-v2-eu.html

Wheel to go on the base (pick one):
http://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/clubsport-steering-wheel-bmw-m3-gt2-eu.html
http://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/clubsport-steering-wheel-formula-black-eu.html

Pedals:
http://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/pedals/clubsport-pedals-v3-eu.html

Shifter:
http://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/shifters/clubsport-shifter-sq-eu.html

You'll also need the shifter mounting bracket to use it on a desk.

Really don't think she likes game enough to give near enough 2000 euros for something like that but ill check :rofl: thanks for info :thup:

Really don't think she likes game enough to give near enough 2000 euros for something like that but ill check :rofl: thanks for info :thup:

I did warn you in my first post here it would be serious cash...

i bought the Logitech G27 to use for project cars and found it to be pretty good "for the price"
one thing i had to do though was it wasn't centering sometimes, common problem with it apparently but fixed it pretty easily.
using this vid :

i bought the Logitech G27 to use for project cars and found it to be pretty good "for the price"
one thing i had to do though was it wasn't centering sometimes, common problem with it apparently but fixed it pretty easily.
using this vid :

Worth noting, the G920 pedals are vastly improved over the G27, but it is definitely a solid set.

If youre wanting a cheaper solution, the driving force gt/pro are pretty decent wheels. The pedals are garbage and need to be replaced. The "shifter" is a literal joke, but you can add on the logitech or just use the paddle shifters (I prefer paddle shifters anyway).

Too many options for pedals, most need a converter to use properly though.

edit: oh yeah, you really want a wheel with force feedback. I highly recommend you avoid wheels that use those rubber bands to pull to center, as they are not nearly as accurate, and they wear out pretty quickly to my understanding.

If youre wanting a cheaper solution, the driving force gt/pro are pretty decent wheels. The pedals are garbage and need to be replaced. The "shifter" is a literal joke, but you can add on the logitech or just use the paddle shifters (I prefer paddle shifters anyway).

Too many options for pedals, most need a converter to use properly though.

edit: oh yeah, you really want a wheel with force feedback. I highly recommend you avoid wheels that use those rubber bands to pull to center, as they are not nearly as accurate, and they wear out pretty quickly to my understanding.

Are you referring to the original Logitech Driving Force GT? If so, good luck, they aren't made any more.
The G920 is the best budget option, currently, to my knowledge.

As you said though, they're only good for the wheel portion.
So, you go scrounging to find a used wheel/pedal set, then have to buy/use a different set of pedals and a different shifter...
By the time you've found all the parts you're looking at almost the G920 price, but without any warranty.

Are you referring to the original Logitech Driving Force GT? If so, good luck, they aren't made any more.
The G920 is the best budget option, currently, to my knowledge.

As you said though, they're only good for the wheel portion.
So, you go scrounging to find a used wheel/pedal set, then have to buy/use a different set of pedals and a different shifter...
By the time you've found all the parts you're looking at almost the G920 price, but without any warranty.

I actually got a NOS DFGT for 89$. Logitech let me register it for a 3 year warranty, but obviously ymmv. Its a good wheel, the 920 didn't really "feel" better when i tried it out. Out the box the 920 is obviously the superior performer, but there are other ways around it. As i said, I don't bother with the manual shifter, and if thats important to you, you have to buy it with the 920 anyway, making it closer to 500$ for the rig. T3PA pedals are better than the 920's, and are 99$ + 20$ for the converter. Decent set up for around 200$ imo.

edit: fwiw, you and i both know that pretty much every "off the shelf" pedal kit sucks anyway. Unless he's looking to drop for a Heusinkveld set, or something comparable its all comparing crap to crap anyway.

I actually got a NOS DFGT for 89$. Logitech let me register it for a 3 year warranty, but obviously ymmv. Its a good wheel, the 920 didn't really "feel" better when i tried it out. Out the box the 920 is obviously the superior performer, but there are other ways around it. As i said, I don't bother with the manual shifter, and if thats important to you, you have to buy it with the 920 anyway, making it closer to 500$ for the rig. T3PA pedals are better than the 920's, and are 99$ + 20$ for the converter. Decent set up for around 200$ imo.

edit: fwiw, you and i both know that pretty much every "off the shelf" pedal kit sucks anyway. Unless he's looking to drop for a Heusinkveld set, or something comparable its all comparing crap to crap anyway.

Some, like you, will get lucky with new old stock. Right now the best I can find is $120 for a well used set.

Honestly the T3PA pedals are on par with the G920 pedals. They're both a modified potentiometer style. If you're going to buy pedals, go buy some with a load cell.
The load cell based pedals aren't THAT much more, but they're a lot closer to a real feel.

Obviously if you want true realism they need to be hydraulic... And then you're talking $800 for a cheap set of pedals.

Back