• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice Please (new build)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ST0NE

Registered
I'm in the process of receiving all my new goodies from excaliberpc and need some advice on a good cpu fan to accommodate my new heatsink "Swiftech MCX6400-V" located here http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmcforamat6.html
Noise level around 40.0 dB I guess

New build is:
MSI K8N Neo Platinum Retail
AMD Athlon 64 3400+2.2GHz L2-1MB FSB-1600MHz Socket 754
Heatsink "Swiftech MCX6400-V"

Any help would be greatly appriciated....Money no issue they all pretty cheap :)

travioli

Registered
The website you have linked recommends this fan for your noise level

Medium noise category - Lower C/W is better
Brand Part # CFM dbA Heatsink-fan °C/Watts ratio (*)
Delta 80x25 AFB0812HH 37.4 34 .220

ggo

Disabled
muahahaha tornado! or maybe you could try a blower? those things are insane!

mtb856

I recommend the Delta HHE LINK... it's only a little louder than what you were looking for. I own it, and if you have it on rheo you can turn it down until it's just a muted hum.

I noticed that the website said that a 80mm fan worked better on that HS, and the reason for this is that the 92mm fans have a huge deadspot on them, leaving a large area on the HS that isn't cooled. To remedy this, you can take a shell of a 92mm fan that you're not using and bolt it on between the fan and the HS ( or you can make one out of plexi or something), this will raise the fan above the HS and help to reduce the size of the deadspot.

Nice choice on the parts. I'm a big fan of MSI products... I'm not sure about the AMD 64 :p j/k. Hope everything works out for you.

oc forever,

mtb856

sonicdrive

very cool heat sink but isnt this go to just cooling thread or is it extream cooling ??? i dont know but have to ask

OP
S

ST0NE

Registered
Thanks alot guys for all the advice and that idea mtb856 about the deadspot is great.. gonna give it a go..

Are the blowers worth while ? I haven't heard much about them but the sure look like they would work well ;)

@ sonicdrive , this thread is in "Overclockers Forums > Overclocking > Cooling > Advice Please (new build)" If in the wrong spot sorry...

mtb856

If you can manage to get a good blower on there... it should work well. Blowers don't have a dead spot and produce a lot of pressure, so they're able to cool all the way down to the base of the HS with no problem. As long as you have a blower with a decent amount of airflow that makes a good alternative to a fan.