• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice Please !!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HammerHeadHank

Registered
Hi, I am going to purchase a Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 32MB Harddrive and want to use this as a pvr. Do you think this is an over kill ? Are you able to disable the sleep mode via firmware ? And I also need recommendations on a external enclosure probably with a fan on/off switch.

I do see some external harddrives 1tb for 70.00 after rebate, but the brand names are ( Calvary,Fantom etc. are these any good ?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks HammerHeadHank

2xNEHALEMx2

hitachi??? wtf. dont get anything that says seagate 7200.11. those drives brick up (as one did on me) get a 1 TB WD caviar black, really good drive. if you can find one, maybe a 640 GB black.

BossBorot

The Samsung drive is the best currently available 1TB drive for sustained transfer rates, which would be the most important measure of speed for a pvr drive.

Western Digitial still has not rolled out the 500gb platters on the 1TB black or any black other then the 2tb which is horribly expensive. Therefore currently shipping 1TB blacks have 3 platters not 2.

The only reasons not to get the Samsung would be if you are uncomfortable with how Samsung compares to other companies regarding warranty length or if you can't find one for sale. Seriously the Samsung F3 drives are very hard to find for sale as those in the know grab them up almost as soon as they come back in stock.

BTW you are going to want eSATA to take advantage any drive as USB 2.0 will bottleneck any 1tb drive. If you plan on going the USB route then grab a green (WD), lp (Seagate), or ecogreen (samsung) drive instead to save some money and power.

Last edited:

2xNEHALEMx2

how fast a transfer rate would that WD black get when moving a bunch of files that add up to 5 GB from one partition to another partition on the same drive? my WD blue gets 25-30 MB/s SUSTAINED but starts at about 90.

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
Thanks all for the response. By the way how many platters does the WD black have ?

HammerHeadHank

As people have said the 1TB WD Black has 3x333.3GB platters.

Here are the others:
500GB = 2x250GB, 32MB Cache
640GB = 2x320GB, 32MB Cache
750GB = 3x250GB, 32MB Cache
2TB = 4x500GB, 64MB Cache

doublejack

The Samsung drive is the best currently available 1TB drive for sustained transfer rates, which would be the most important measure of speed for a pvr drive.

Western Digitial still has not rolled out the 500gb platters on the 1TB black or any black other then the 2tb which is horribly expensive. Therefore currently shipping 1TB blacks have 3 platters not 2.

The only reasons not to get the Samsung would be if you are uncomfortable with how Samsung compares to other companies regarding warranty length or if you can't find one for sale. Seriously the Samsung F3 drives are very hard to find for sale as those in the know grab them up almost as soon as they come back in stock.

BTW you are going to want eSATA to take advantage any drive as USB 2.0 will bottleneck any 1tb drive. If you plan on going the USB route then grab a green (WD), lp (Seagate), or ecogreen (samsung) drive instead to save some money and power.

Even eSATA is going to badly bottleneck the current generation of drives. I have a dual USB / eSATA enclosure, and while the transfer rate via eSATA is noticeably faster it still is significantly slower than an internal SATA connection.

Since this will be going into an external enclosure, IMO speed is a complete non factor. All current drives will perform about the same, because they're going to be limited to either USB 2.0 or eSATA transfer rates. Therefore, I think the last piece of advice - to select a green / low power drive - is the best advice. They'll run cooler, use less energy, and should conceivably last longer for those reasons in an enclosure with less than ideal cooling abilities.

BossBorot

Im pretty impressed with my new WD black 1tb I get ~100mb/s transfer speeds .

The Samsung F3 gets 120mb/s average transfer rates with something around 150 max and 80 min

Even eSATA is going to badly bottleneck the current generation of drives. I have a dual USB / eSATA enclosure, and while the transfer rate via eSATA is noticeably faster it still is significantly slower than an internal SATA connection.

Since this will be going into an external enclosure, IMO speed is a complete non factor. All current drives will perform about the same, because they're going to be limited to either USB 2.0 or eSATA transfer rates. Therefore, I think the last piece of advice - to select a green / low power drive - is the best advice. They'll run cooler, use less energy, and should conceivably last longer for those reasons in an enclosure with less than ideal cooling abilities.

Ah good point I remember that my esata enclosure bottlenecked at 90mb/s. I would go with a low power drive in this case then.

edit: here is a pic of hd tach on my 500gb Samsung F3

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
eSATA has the same transfer rates as SATA. eSATA will not bottleneck a drive unless that drive can exceed the SATA spec.

My X25-M G2 on eSATA:

smwrh4.jpg
2q340ab.jpg

BossBorot

hmm does this depend on the controller?

Its time for me to go do some reading as this is very interesting

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
You're probably right about the controllers being the problem. He'll just have to research a lot before he buys.