• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[advice requested] New rig and watercooling plans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dcolodny

Registered
Once the Devil's Canyon chips are released, I'm (along with the rest of the world) expecting the price on the 4790's to drop a wee bit - then I pounce.

This is the rig I have planned:

• Enthoo Primo
  • Asus Maximus VII
  • I7-4790K
  • Corsair Vengance DDR3 1600 (4x 8GB)
  • 8x Corsair AF120 (6 intake, 2 internal)
  • 6x Corsair SP120 (6 exhaust)
  • Antec HPC-1000
  • Intel 180GB M.2 Drive
  • Phanteks PH-TC14PE (and an additional PH-F140HP fan for the middle)
  • WD Black 4TB
  • EVGA 780ti (reference)
  • Blu-ray Burner
  • Cables, etc...

Once I've recovered from the depletion of my bank account, It is my intention to switch the above rig from air to water cooling. As one who tends not to take half measures:

• Corsair SP140
  • Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 XT (/w remote, black faceplate, pump connection cable, and heatsink)
  • Phobya G14 Pressure Safety Valve (black)
  • Mayhems Biocide Extreme
  • Monsoon .999 Fine Silver Bullet Antimicrobial G1/4 Plug (Black)
  • PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing 1/2 ID x 3/4 OD Bloodshed Red
  • XSPC 5.25" Bay Temperature Sensor Dual Display Mount
  • 2 XSPC LCD Temperature Sensor V2 - Black White Backlight /w Inline Sensor
  • Black Ice Nemesis GTX 140 Radiator
  • Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 Radiator
  • Swiftech Apogee XL Extreme Performance Universal CPU Waterblock (Acetal)
  • Swiftech The Komodo NV-LE Full Cover VGA Waterblock /w Backplate
  • Swiftech MCP655 Variable Speed 12v Water Pump /w G1/4 Thread Ports Perfectly Tapped
  • FrozenQ PC Mods Liquid Fusion V Series 2nd Generation Reservoir 400mm - UV Cathode - UV Red Helix
  • FrozenQ Liquid Fusion Dual Bay Reservoir - Blood Red Helix
  • Alphacool VPP655 Variable Speed Pump /w RPM Monitoring
  • Monsoon .999 Fine Silver Bullet Antimicrobial In-Line Bundle Pack
  • FrozenQ Acetal D5/MCP655 Pump Mount Bracket - Liquid Fusion Dual Bay Reservoir
  • 20 Bitspower G1/4 Thread 1/2 ID x 34 OD Compression Fitting

The parts list is a bit scattered, but the important bits are:

Black Ice GTX 480
Black Ice GTX 140

Dual bay reservoir (FrozenQ Helix)
Cylinder reservoir (FrozenQ Helix)

2x 655's, one in bay res, one on case floor

Apogee XL waterblock
Komodo VGA waterblock
(built in motherboard MOFSET waterblock)

While I only have 1 780ti, I would like the overhead built in to do a 2 or 3 card setup.

I have a quintet of opening questions:

1. Can you see specific improvements to the air cooled build?
  2. When switching to the water cooling, is there an issue with chemical biocides AND silver killcoils? I'm planning on using distilled water and I think I don't have any aluminum parts, but I bow to the experts...
  3. Do I have enough rads? The Enthoo Primo has more rad space than I can shake a ram stick at, but I've limited the rads to exhaust ports (top and top rear) so dissipated heat from the rads doesn't stay in the case. If I went nuts I could put a 120.2 in front, another 120.2 on the side, and a 120.4 or 140.3 on the bottom, but these are all intake positions.
  4. Fans. The Black Ice rads say they're optimized for sub-800 rpm fans. I take that to mean a lower airflow? I planned on putting some of the AF120's in a pull and the SP140 in a push on their respective rads, all with their 7V limiters on to reduce noise, but I read here that the Black Ice GTX rads are high airflow rads...? Can someone clarify? Plan thrice, buy once.
  5. About those 655's...One is Aerocool, the other is Swiftec. To make matters more...interesting, they'll be in diferent places in the loop. One will be up in the drive bays combined with a reservoir, and the other one will be at the bottom of the case right behind the PSU. I probably could go [pump/res]>[res]>[pump]>[MOFSET]>[140.1]>[VGA]>[CPU]>[120.4]>...

1. Will should get a huge difference in temps especially the GPU.
2. I don't think so.
3. Enough rad? Are you serious? I had a Black Ice GTX 480 (the original GTX) and it help 4 x 7970's and a i7-3820 @ 4.4 ghz. Put the 480 on top and the 120 in the rear. If you are unhappy once you add your 3rd or 4th GPU then add another rad. I say 3rd and 4th because the quad and single rad will handle 3 gpus plus everything you mentioned with no problem.
4. Yes, you can use low cfm fans. Don't get the Black Ice Gtx Xtreme (what I have) mixed up with what you are plan on getting Black Ice Nemesis GTX . Your is better suited for lower speed fans and the Extreme is suited better for finger cutters.
5. It does no matter where in the loop you will have them just as the res connects to one pump and in your case the res and pump are together.
6. My Suggestions.
Don't use two resevoirs. I have done it better and its a pain in the ***. Get one resevoir only. I would suggest to use a Swiftech MCP35x and have your tube resevoir connected on top of the pump. Use a male to male fitting to do the job. I have a 250ml tube res and thats how I do it.

One MCP35x will be plenty for the loop. I speak from experience from this one. I have an MCP350 that pushed a GTX 480 rad, GTX 360 rad, MCW 82 x 2, Full mobo block, and a cpu block. One I changed that pump for two MCP 355 I saw no improvements. The GTX extreme radiator are some of the most restrictive radiators out there and the MCW 82's are also restrictive and the mcp350 handle it just fine. I also have 6 90 degree fittings in that loop, so 1 MCP35x will handle your setup just fine.

Back