• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

advmethods -forceasm flags!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asj

Right I have heard about these but don't really understand what they do? I know they get new work units to do and are worth more points. (is this correct?) And how do I set them up. Please say which files to go into! (I guess its in the [email protected] file so don't bother to include that! lol!)

RyanRichard

advmethods flag enables [email protected] to download the 78core which lets you fold the "gromacs" they are a little more cpu intensive because they are optimised for SSE. So having a Pentium 3, 4..and an Athlon with SSE support, you will be able to fold these units more productivley. Im not too sure about the -forceasm flag, but i belive it keeps the core thinking the system is stable? im not sure on that one, but im sure someone will reply that does. Setting [email protected] to do this is easy, infact theres a thread all about this......
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130328 there ya go :)

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
asj said:
Right I have heard about these but don't really understand what they do? I know they get new work units to do and are worth more points. (is this correct?) And how do I set them up. Please say which files to go into! (I guess its in the [email protected] file so don't bother to include that! lol!)
The last batch of the gromacs WU's were worth 10 points and took about 6 hours on a 1.8Ghz XP. Good ratio! Right now, there are no gromacs, stanford is retooling and should have a new one out next week. You can still run the flags to get them, you won't get them now but you WILL when they become available again. To set the flags you need to create a shortcut to the program, then open the properties of the shortcut and add this flag in the TARGET line at the end of the quotes: -advmethods make sure you add 1 space after the quotes. Here is what mine looks like:

"C:\Program Files\FAH\FAH3Console.exe" -advmethods -forceasm

The -forceasm flag forces SSE optimizations ON, but if you have an unstable overclock they will turn off or the WU will reset and you will start over. Are you using the GUI or the text console? If you are using the GUI, go to the startup folder and there is already a shortcut in there to start up with the machine, edit that one.