• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After some consideration

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadowmonk

I decided to go with this setup
XFX 780i
Intel Q6600
XFX 8800GT 512 Alpha Dog Edition x2 in SLI
Antec True Power 650w PSU
(2x2gb) OCz Reaper DDR2 800

Was talking to a bud of mine whose got the 780i and hes got his q6600 sittin pretty at 3.8 Ghz. Anything you can see here that i could do better on?

AresOlSkool

Registered
If you are set with Nvidia GPUs and SLI than 780i is the way to roll. The only other board you might consider is a 790i and that is if you want DDR3 support. Also you won't see higher than around 3.6GHz on air and even that is pushing it for 24/7. A nice water cooled setup, chilled water cooling or some sort of LN2 or phase change is the best way to reliably hit 3.8GHz and keep temps at a respectible level with a Q6600, G0 stepping or not.

OP
Shadowmonk

Shadowmonk

Im more than happy to pull down 3.4 on air, Antec 900 case and Artic 7 should allow a decent OC. As far as performance im anxious to see what this rig can pull down.

puppet76

Registered
Hey man,

How are you liking that 780I board? I am thinking of going with a similar set up as yours. Did you run into any hang-ups overclocking it?

OP
Shadowmonk

Shadowmonk

Right now im still piecing it together,one of my my video cards was DoA so its RMA'd, still got my old rig ill keep ya posted when i start stepping her up.