• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After waiting for 4 DAYS to download, Overclockix...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blimpie

Registered
Ok, i started downloading Overclockix 4 days ago, and its done now (26.4k connection). All i can say is wow, why havent i used this before? I would like to say a BIG thanks to Arkaine23 :attn: !!!
I really havent messed a whole lot with it, im waiting for a few work units to complete so i can convert some of my win2k machines over to it without losing progress, but i am impressed! Looks sleek, looks fast, looks HARDCORE!
If you are running a few boxes in your house that just sit and run win2k or something, and you dont really ever do anything on them, USE OVERCLOCKIX!!

Sorry if this sounds lame, but i just think its friggin awesome! :drool:

FizzledFiend

This Knoppix-based distribution features a host of tools for network security, low-level hardware tweaking, burn-in applications like memtest, lucifer, cpuburn, and distributed computing clients - [email protected], [email protected], and prime-net. The GUIs include KDE, Fluxbox, IceWM, and twm with a good deal of customisation to KDE and Fluxbox. It even has Windows virus scanning capability and an ability install-on-demand 3D Radeon and NVIDIA drivers. Overclockix is a great tool to test out and fix systems and a cheap way to build distributed computing clusters Transparency and other tweaks can be found throughout the Window managers. It also includes support for NForce2 and KT400 integrated network cards, as well as some winmodem drivers.

FizzledFiend

would be nice for those of use terrified of Linux to have a "hold-my-hand" thread on how one goes about getting something like this off the ground..been M4 all my life..somebody says Linux i just poop me pants :)

OP
B

Blimpie

Registered
Sorry, im just saying that i cant believe i havent used it before. Great tool, especially for testing systems that have no os loaded on them.

Are there any boot commands to make it run smoother on SLOW machines, like 500 mhz or so? I looked through the "cheat codes" .txt, but nothing there seems to apply...

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
Sure-

knoppix desktop=icewm

knoppix desktop=gnome

knoppix desktop=fluxbox

Changing to different GUI's can make things go a bit faster for older boxes. Icewm and Fluxbox are both much lighter than KDE (the default) or gnome. Some slowness is going to happen regardless since you are running off a CD-rom. There are cheatcodes to load the whole OS in ram or to a hard drive
"toram" and "fromhd", but require 768MB+ ram and 700+MB ext3 partition, respectively.

You can also install it to a small hard drive in about 20 minutes by running the command-

sudo knxhdinstall
or
sudo knoppix-installer

There are two different installers. I know thew first one will take care of setting up the folding service for you. Not sure about the second one....

OP
B

Blimpie

Registered
cool thanks, by the way, what is the minimum processor and ram specs for overclockix?
I ran it on a 450 Mhz with 128 MB ram, but was EXTREMELY slow with KDE, just wondering how much slower you can go with other GUI's, also, i am guessing it is faster when you do the 'sudo knxhdinstall' command and actually install it to the HDD?

LiGhTBoY

Q: What are the minimum system requirements?

A: Intel-compatible CPU (i486 or later), 16 MB of RAM for text mode, at least 96 MB for graphics mode with KDE (at least 128 MB of RAM is recommended to use the various office products), bootable CD-ROM drive, or a boot floppy and standard CD-ROM (IDE/ATAPI or SCSI), standard SVGA-compatible graphics card, serial or PS/2 standard mouse or IMPS/2-compatible USB-mouse.

from here: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqGeneral

Using knoppix desktop=fluxbox will speed things up somewhat because KDE is very bloated.