• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aftermarket gpu cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

puglet

I recently removed the fans and shroud from my gtx 1070 G1 and added two 120mm fans. Nice and silent, however temps are about the same.

When I did this I removed the G1 heatsink and I was a little disappointed to see what I believe is a pretty poor mating surface. The mating surface was rough and the only cooper was the heat pipes themselves.

I would like to find a better cooler that will fit my card, preferably with a minimum of hassle.

I'm considering these three coolers,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA66Z28H1378

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186068

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835242030

The Prolimatech does not have any pascal cards listed as compatible, but maybe it will fit with some light modding?

The arctic looks good however, I don't really want to go back to three small noisy fans.

The Raijintek looks like the best fit to me.

So can anybody help guide me here? Has anyone used one of these coolers on a Gigabyte 1070?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
That is a GOOD thing direct contact with heatpipes... what was wrong with the windforce 2 cooler on the G1? It's quiet and pretty effective...I wouldn't spend a penny on it considering a reason you did it was because of a misinformed opinion on the contact/heatpipes...

OP
P

puglet

That is a GOOD thing direct contact with heatpipes... what was wrong with the windforce 2 cooler on the G1? It's quiet and pretty effective...I wouldn't spend a penny on it considering a reason you did it was because of a misinformed opinion on the contact/heatpipes...

I removed the heatsink so I could remove the fan shroud, there was some interference from the PCI bracket.

I'd say from the imprint left on the heatsink that about 20 to 25% of the gpu was covered by aluminum and not by the two heat pipes. The heat pipes themselves had a large gap between them And are very rough(looks like someone took 80 grit sandpaper to it).

I'm sure that is good enough for some, but I would like to have a better heat sink. The factory TIM was gobbed on, judging by the condition of the heatsinks mating surface and the gaps and roughness of the heat pipes themselves, I can see why.

You and I have very different ideas about what is quiet.:)

Anyway cooling for me has become a hobby in and of itself, adequate doesn't cut it.

Any thoughts on the coolers that I listed and how I may best adapt them to fit my card?

- - - Updated - - -

The Arctic have rep for being both good coolers and near dead silent, but you need to check the webpage because they have several reviews of the same model depending if the PCB is standard/custom or AMD/nVidia.

https://www.arctic.ac/uk_en/accelero-xtreme-iii.html

Thanks took a look but didn't see any reference to the card I own, guess I'll have to go by the technical specs drawing and measure to see if any of them will fit.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I'd say from the imprint left on the heatsink that about 20 to 25% of the gpu was covered by aluminum and not by the two heat pipes. The heat pipes themselves had a large gap between them And are very rough. I'm sure that is good enough for some, but I would like to have a better heat sink. The factory TIM was gobbed on, judging by the condition of the heatsinks mating surface and the gaps and roughness of the heat pipes themselves, I can see why.
If the core wasn't getting 1/5 of it covered, temps would be way higher...liberal application of paste is needed with this implementation, yes.

Also , multiple makers use direct heatpipe contact in the exact same manner as gigabyte. It is an effective heat transfer method regardless what you feel may be better.

IN the end, it seems noise is your only true issue here. Before you go off and spend your money, consider changing the fan curve too.

As far as what fits, I would stick to configurator to give you that info as was linked.

Good luck! :)