• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGP 8X? When?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cupe|ix

I've heard that there will be an AGP 8X standard soon. Does anyone have any information on this?

If it's true, will you need an 8X card to get the most out of it (I would assume so)?

David

Forums Super Moderator
Cupe|ix said:
I've heard that there will be an AGP 8X standard soon. Does anyone have any information on this?

If it's true, will you need an 8X card to get the most out of it (I would assume so)?

I think AGP 8X is due to come along with the next VIA chipset - the KT400. There are also prototype Hammer boards that support AGP 8X.

mustangman

Yep 8x is supposed to be out with the next chipsets. I have read two different things on it so far one says that it is backwards compatable to 4x and the other says all the way back to 1x. Malaki also said in another post that it was supposed to be back to 1x. Unfortunately I can't remember what sites those articles were on that I read. I'll try to come up with them later on today or tonight and post them here for you.

Despotes

The agp 8X and KT400(a,b...)board will definately have to be my next purchase. Keep us updated on the approximate release date :)

RainMaQer

3D God
kwoon said:
yes the kt 400 shown with the agp 8x but when the video card will be out at agp 8x????????

I believe Nvidia and ATI's next GPU's will call for agp 8x. Nvidia's will be the eclipse and ATI's the R300 (just codenames as of yet). Probably won't see these cards until Fall 2002 at the VERY earliest.