• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGP Aperture Size..What is it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firochromis

Hi, while searching in BIOS I saw that AGP aperture size is set to 64 MB. What is it exactly? What hapens if I increase it?

Regards..

Your computer will explode into a blazing conflagration, probably burning your house down.

Okay, okay, no pyrotechnics. :) I just have a thing about "what happens if I change this totally innocuous setting?" questions, which can always be answered with a quick search (either here or on the web).

Seriously, though, it has to do with how much memory is set aside for loading texture and model data to your card while playing games (or running other 3D apps). 64MB is usually a good setting for it, although if you have a 128/256MB graphics card and plenty of RAM, you might want to try bumping it up to 128MB and see if it helps performance any. The card shouldn't use more than it actually needs, so increasing it won't decrease performance in non-3D apps or anything like that.

Thank you Matthias.

I just have a thing about "what happens if I change this totally innocuous setting?" questions, which can always be answered with a quick search (either here or on the web).

I'll keep this in mind ::eh?:

I'm using my computer for engineering modelings mostly and sometimes my grapgic card lacks the performance. I havbe plenty of memory so will try setting it to 128 mb.

Yuriman, how can we check how much memory des it uses?

Yuriman said:
Ive found that my card(128mb) uses about 6mb at most. 16mb should be plenty.

what program do you use to measure this?

Also, I have a radeon 9700 (128MB on there), and I've noticed that knocking my agp aperture setting from 64 to 128 causes this blue screen after booting into windows (xp, home), telling me such and such memory something is getting corrupted, and to restart...

coming back down to 64 for aperture fixed that... any correllation?

Back