• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGP Aperture Size

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clown

Registered
Anyone knows how BIG must the AGP aperture size must be.. does this increase performance.

Asus CUV4X-C
P3-700 @ 868
512 133Sdram
Inno3d GeForce4 MX420 64mg @ 270/180 "Good OL' Sdramz"
Yamaha X-Wave
WinXp Pro

funnyperson1

on video cards of 32mb or more, it makes almost no difference what you set it at....but most people say half your ram, or if a program is badly written *cough* GTA3 *cough* a very low AGP aperture sometimes helps avoid memory leaks and large usage of page file

Matrix78

spazzkid said:
i set mine to 128. no significant increases.

ditto, GF Ti4200 set mine to 128MB didnt notice anything, does everyone enable all the video cacheing?? i set it all to enable but i dont know if it helps or hinders ???

Darkseid

do not set video cache!!!!
that`s terribly for performance!!!!

that was made for old video cards that have slower ram than the system and no more than 8 mb

Matrix78

Darkseid said:

that was made for old video cards that have slower ram than the system and no more than 8 mb

no shat??!?!?!??! damn i've got it ALL on i'll go turn it off and see what happens. . . . do u mean PC performance or GPU performance?

Samoyed

New cards have enuff ram where they dont need to cache to regular ram. Its kind of funny how in most bios they have settings that even experts dont know WTF they mean. lol

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
Samoyed said:
New cards have enuff ram where they dont need to cache to regular ram. Its kind of funny how in most bios they have settings that even experts dont know WTF they mean. lol

When you stop learning something new everyday, chances are you are set in your ways or possibly dead :)

Matrix78

Darkseid said:

hey thanx for the info, i shut off all my vid cache'ing and my Sandra mem score went for 23XX to 25XX (25XX was my score when i have all my times to their lowest right now they're on their highest)

asw7576

I set my AGP aperture to 128mb, and my memory is 512mb. Does it increase performance compare to default 64mb? No. I could see NO LOSS of performance when playing games with 64mb. In 3DMark 2001, you only gain small points.

The size of AGP aperture size is matter of personal taste. For examples, some people feel more comfortable with 64mb aperture size since the physical memory is 256mb.

Wraith

Somene wana tell me what the H3LL Fast writes is? i dont get what it is, ppl are always telling me to turn it off! but why!

ReDeeMeR

Fast writes are bad huh? how so? proof? I'm gonna investigate in a few...always thought fastwrites were 'good guys' :D