• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGP aperture size

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Monkus

I wonder if someone could please explain this to me.

I've a recurring problem with my 9600 Pro running with NF7-S / Athlon 3200XP+ Barton / 512MB DDR, in that the card randomly crashes when being used. I've checked my BIOS settings to enable 8x AGP and FastWrites, yet I don't understand what the Aperature Size is.

If I increase my AS, or decrease it, what am I doing to the card's functionality?

Thanks for your help.

If Fastwrites does not help, disable it. The issue with the 9600s and fastwrites I belive was distorted video. Infact turn it off and check for stability again.

Aperature size, if I am not mistaken, is the maximum amount of ram alocatable to the video card processing stuff like textures. It doesn't have much of a basis on performance, but my rule of thumb is either the same amount of vram you have or double. In your case, I would go same amount.

Ive always know it to be the more vram you have the less you need for an aperature size. Like if you have a 256meg video card then you should be fine with like 64 or 42.

Thank you everyone, you've been most helpful. I had a play turning teh size up and down - the games began stuttering with a higher size, so I turned it down. The Video RAM is more than capable I hope!

FastWrites are turned off and no crashes so far. And yes, the whole system is ever so slightly over-clocked.

No, you need the AAS on, you can't really perform that well with out it. But since you have so little ram, I reckon about 64-128 meg is good for you.

Fastwrites often create instability unless you have a decently new system. Leave it off and see if it freezes.

Thanks for the links, I've also always wondered what that was. www.Answers.com is also a great site to find stuff like this, along with Wiki, of course. There isn't a direct listing for AGP Aperture at answers, though. :p

Back