• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ahh, new system doesn't even boot first time :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chuci

Registered
Hey hey everyone, just got a new system ready up for overclocking, only thing is, it won't even boot first time...
Here are the sys specs

2.4B Northy (B0 Shrink)
1 x 256mb 3200 Corsair XMS RAM
IT7-MAX2 Mobo
Albatron ti4200 Turbo 128MB
Antec 1080AMG Case
Zalman 6500cu HSF

And thats about it or should be anyway...

It just sits there, all my fans work, I can open and close the CDROM drive, the code the board gives is an "FF" code which when I looked up the manual says, "BOOT ATTEMPT (INT 19h)"

This has sooo ****ed me off at the moment, I've saved up for a long, long time for this moment, took me the whole day to get the damn thing set up with a fanbus to boot...

and now it won't even boot up, with anything, no screen. Oh and also I took out the video card and it still booted with the "FF" and the RAM also.

I basically just had the CPU and the mobo, and it still gave me an "FF" code...

Is this a RMA board guys or is there any hope for this board at all?

Any input would be greatly appreciated...
thankyou

Oh yeah i forgot to say, yeah I've tried changing the bios jumper to a normal everyday one and yeah I've tried resetting the CMOS as well... same results...
Chuci

Last edited:
OP
C

chuci

Registered
alright, just did that, same result, still an FF code...

I also connected the speaker to the mobo, there are no beeps, long or short...

Maximouse

I am not sure but I think the FF code could mean more than that/

Anyone else with that MB know?

Can you try the cpu in another MB or another cpu in that one?

OP
C

chuci

Registered
mmm, the 2 other computers are old p3's or athlons... i cant test either the cpu or the mobo.... anyone with the same board have anymore ideas?

Jirnsum

Can you boot from CD-ROM? Set CD-ROM as first boot device in the BIOS, and try booting from your Windows CD.

You said: no screen. Does that mean you don't see any BIOS messages flying by? In that case, disregard my first remark.

The FF code is normal. My TH7-II always ends its POST procedure with that. So nothing wrong there. It just indicates that the POST was successfull.

Do you hear a beep when the FF code appears?

OP
C

chuci

Registered
well, its good to know that the FF code is the on the right track, but I still got nothing on screen... hmm will try to plug in a pci card to see if its my video card...

no beeps or anything at all

Nothing on screen, basically my monitor doesnt even see a signal...

waja

Registered
chuci said:
well, its good to know that the FF code is the on the right track, but I still got nothing on screen... hmm will try to plug in a pci card to see if its my video card...

no beeps or anything at all

Nothing on screen, basically my monitor doesnt even see a signal...
chuci,
It does sound like your PC booted up. FF is the last display code so the problem may be just in your video. I would first try to reset the BIOS on the motherboard. (Disconnect power, move reset jumper to reset pair, then move jumper back to default). If this doesn't work, check the slot that the video card is in for damage. Next, try a different video card, cable/ monitor. Also, try using the keyboard as if there was something on the screen. F1, Ctrl-Alt-Del, delete key would be some of the things that should cause a reaction from the motherboard.

Good luck!

skou

Chuci, Your problem is not with the board, all 3 of mine read FF when running. You have a video problem- vid card, monitor, or KVM switch, cable. It's something after the mobo.

steve

OP
C

chuci

Registered
ahhh, figured it out.. after a few hours, i pulled out the hsf and the CPU, and guess what? I didnt properly clamp down the CPU, so that was all that was wrong... hehe, I can't believe I made such a n00b mistake :)

ah well, we learn from our damn stupid mistakes eh?

Thanks everyone for their feedback

Just got to overclocking and the highest I can do is 2960 mhz
at 164 fsb

damn, and I wanted to hit the 3ghz mark too!!!

OP
C

chuci

Registered
actually i got that 3ghz after I BIOS Flashed it to C6!

So running pretty stable at 3068mhz with a fsb of 167! yay now I can brag to my bro's about my 3ghz system!

:D

OP
C

chuci

Registered
pretty stable coz I just attempted that clock speed and only got 2 to 3 hours of prime on it, after about 12 continuous hours of prime and toast, it seems to run 100% stable at this clock speed

OP
C

chuci

Registered
hehe, I'm glad you approve... but I hate my memory timings, i gotta run 2 3 3 6 at 1:1 ratio, so its clocked at 334 mhz, but I got 3200 XMS RAM... seems such a waste... ah well, I guess you're given what you're given....

On a side note, I'm happy to say that my gfx card overclocked spectacularly, its a Albatron Ti4200P Turbo 128MB Card...

100% stable at 305/690*

*690 is the maximum coolbits slider can go, I think I can squeeze a few more mhz in the memory... we'll see how that goes :D

Last edited: