• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ahhhh SUCK! Sound like a PSU limitation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Albuquerque

Ok, so I'm finally re-assembling my rig with it's new watercooling setup. Previous most stable speed was 3.6ghz at 1.6v actual on a Swiftech MCX4000 + YSTech 80mm fan. Temps hovered between 53-54c per the BIOS.

I've now finally settled at 253FSB at 1.6v, which gives me 3.8ghz. The BIOS is reporting temps hovering between 41-43c, which is quite fine by me. I can also get this rig to POST at 4.1ghz on 1.6v, which is a little inspiring...

However, if I so much as bump the voltage one increment higher (1.625v) it can't post reliably any more. Two increments higher (1.65v), and it almost never posts... Anything more than 253 and it starts getting flakey in MemTest86.

It seems to me that my little Antec SL400 is just finally unable to keep up. I'm running a pair of Maxtor 7200RPM drives, a 52x Burner + 4x DVD player, a burnt-out 9800np (hehe, it works, but only barely :p) and a pair of 120mm Delta fans. I'm beginning to think this PSU just cannot take all this equipment and this overclock reliably.

So I guess I'm just looking for a little extra suggestion from the Guys(TM) if this sounds PSU related or not. I'm about two inches from ordering a TTGI 550 from Directron for $64.99, as it got good reviews here as well as a few other sites. Any other thoughts are also welcome :)

Lancelot

Look on your PSU's label to find out what the Amps on the +12V line are. If it's something like 16A you indeed need a new PSU. Newer models like my 460W Enermax suplly 33A on the +12V rail...

OP
Albuquerque

Albuquerque

12v rail is rated at 16A, which means I'm probably needing a PSU. ;) The 12v line is ok -- it starts at 12.4v and drops to about 12.2; the 5v line hangs around 4.9 and the 3.3 line sticks right at 3.3... I have them all pot-modded so they don't droop as bad, but the 12 and 5 are still moving quite a bit.

Guess I'll find out if my PSU is really the case here shortly :p

batboy

Senior Moment
I don't know for sure, but sound like the PS is ok. I usually recommend at least a PS with 12v=18A for overclockers. Obviously the higher the better. My Antec 550 has a 12v rail of 24A and it's more the enough for anything I can throw at it. I don't know why same models of Enermax are rated twice as high as all the rest, but I do know that some of the Enermax power supplies have dual 12v rails (the ATX mobo connector is separate from the rest), so I suspect they are adding the two for marketing purposes.

situman

get an enermax, my friend maxboost has the 430 noisetaker series and it powers his rig just fine with all the eye candy, an exos watercooling setup.

OP
Albuquerque

Albuquerque

I've already got a TTGI 550w coming, was just curious if I really needed it or not :p I've also got a TT-350-15 coming in to power a pair of peltiers; so I'll have quite a bit of electrical current underneath the case ;)

Lancelot

My former 350W Fortron PSU supplied 16A on the 12V rail. I couldn't hold my OC after adding a 9800PRO (BSOD's and lockups) and this was with a 2.8C, not even a Prescott. So Batboy; maybe 18A would have cut it but it would mean that the PSU would be running on it's toes all the time. With todays systems and OCing you'll need some more Amps for overhead.

OP
Albuquerque

Albuquerque

Well, and considering I'm adding an X800XTPE to the mix very shortly (yay, this Friday!) my PSU issues likely won't get any better. 30 amps on the 12v line sounds a little more usable ;)

batboy

Senior Moment
Yeah, Lancelot is right. I said "at least" 18A, but that was more of a minimum for Northwoods. You definitely need more if you O/C to the extreme, have lots of drives, lights, fans and power hungry vid cards... and you will especially need lots more with a Prescott. The 550w units should be the standard for us hardcore overclockers.

Airbornederekc

im thinking of getting that 660 watt enermax with 3 seperate +12 volt lines. seperate means u can put coolign system on its own line, optical drives on its own line and hdd's on its own line. plus throw ur vid card on one. all seperate

Solari

Registered
Airbornederekc, is your CPU a 12 or 30 capper? 30 cappers seems to like higher vcore better than the older 12 cappers. And runs even cooler. :D I'm thinking of watercooling my rig also, I might get 4GHz out of it..

gigabit, I thought the 520W was OCZ's flagship? Well maybe I remember wrong. Wouldn't be the first time, that's for sure. :)

gigabit

Solari said:
Airbornederekc, is your CPU a 12 or 30 capper? 30 cappers seems to like higher vcore better than the older 12 cappers. And runs even cooler. :D I'm thinking of watercooling my rig also, I might get 4GHz out of it..

gigabit, I thought the 520W was OCZ's flagship? Well maybe I remember wrong. Wouldn't be the first time, that's for sure. :)
yep 520watts your right my BAG...lol