• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ahhhh Urgent Storage problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

subconcept

Having a bit of an issue here:

I tried to install Windows Media center and had a lot of problems but eventually I got it installed. I rebooted after using it for a while and some file was corrupted, cryptui.dll or something like that.

Anyways since I need to get my system backup and running for work and things, I decided to just put xp pro back on.

Now... My drive, a 300 gb maxtor sata had 2 partitions, a 10 gb one (for windows and apps) and the rest as another for storage of all my files.

Now when i get into the xp pro setup it only shows one big parition and no 10 gb partition like it should.. I have nor formated or anything I have no clue whats going on and Im affraid Im going to loose like 90 gb of data, which includes a ton of important stuff.

Anyone know what I can could or what could have happend???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
subconcept

subconcept

What?

The paritions are there, im sure of it, I havent formated or anything, its the xp pro setup just sees it as one big drive without any paritions, I don't know what to do.

The most I can do is get into safe mode in windows media center edition.

K15

subconcept said:
What?

The paritions are there, im sure of it, I havent formated or anything, its the xp pro setup just sees it as one big drive without any paritions, I don't know what to do.

The most I can do is get into safe mode in windows media center edition.

They are NTFS partitions i'm guessing/hoping? Well I don't even know if FAT32 can use a 290GB partition...

OP
subconcept

subconcept

Fixed it, I had to borrow a copy of Sp2 install cd and just use my legit cd key from the original version. The original copy of xp wouldn't detect that I had partitions on the drive, good thing I did not try to install it and waited to try a fresh copy with an sp2 disk.

Im glad this exrperience is over. Time to go get a refund on MCE2005