• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AIO or Air?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

If you have 50 bucks to spare, hop onto Amazon and grab yourself a True Spirit 140 Power. Its a big tower. But, it leaves room for you to access everything on your board. It does not impede ram at all. It is tall, and a bit wide. If you have a couple of bucks more.. pony up and grab yourself a TY143 to go with it. You probably wont be disappointed. I used to run an H100 with 2, or 4 120x38s if I had the space. Those moved 100cfm each. Worst case scenario, you sell it and get your money back, or you have a spare cooler for another rig, or you have a sweet dust collector. I do also have Le Grand Macho RT, excellent cooler. Not as tall as TS140P, but about as wide, and it will cover most of the top half of the motherboard from the cpu back. It will not impede your ram either. And you can run it passive if you'd like, not too sure about overclocked though. Its good for 320w, and TS140P is good for 360w according to Thermalright. Just thought Id mention it since you were on the fence. LGMRT performs on par or slightly better than D15, and TS140P outperforms LGMRT by a few c in my setups. Especially with TY143. The TY143 is 130cfm, and TY147A, and TY147B are about 74cfm. TY143 shares the same sound characteristics as 47A and B up until about 1500rpm.

ITAngel

You make a lot of good points ITAngel!

I really do want to trust the AIO, and I do believe the risk of leakage is low, now. I don't mess with changing out my hardware all that often, aside form testing video cards that I add to my collection.

I can't do the custom loop thing right now, because of the amount of other hardware I swap out. Also, without adding the video card to the loop, it almost seems pointless to build a whole water cooling system for just the CPU, which is an S model (low power) and not overclocked.

The AIO makes sense, but a huge high performing heatsink has always been something attractive in a case, to me at least.

I'm fighting the itch to get the Dark Rock Pro 4 and compare it to these others, since I just get the Captain. I feel like I am back in 2006 when I was experimenting with Scythe, Cooler Master, modified stock, and ThermalTake coolers, it's exciting!

I hear you is the same issue I had at first which is why I did my build with the gpu on the loop because I though would be pointless without it. Now I do own the Dark Rock Pro 4 with my 9900K and have to auto AI Overclock. So far been working great and looks amazing. Here is a picture of it currently on my system.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 319
OP
Celeron_Phreak

Celeron_Phreak

If you have 50 bucks to spare, hop onto Amazon and grab yourself a True Spirit 140 Power. Its a big tower. But, it leaves room for you to access everything on your board. It does not impede ram at all. It is tall, and a bit wide. If you have a couple of bucks more.. pony up and grab yourself a TY143 to go with it. You probably wont be disappointed. I used to run an H100 with 2, or 4 120x38s if I had the space. Those moved 100cfm each. Worst case scenario, you sell it and get your money back, or you have a spare cooler for another rig, or you have a sweet dust collector. I do also have Le Grand Macho RT, excellent cooler. Not as tall as TS140P, but about as wide, and it will cover most of the top half of the motherboard from the cpu back. It will not impede your ram either. And you can run it passive if you'd like, not too sure about overclocked though. Its good for 320w, and TS140P is good for 360w according to Thermalright. Just thought Id mention it since you were on the fence. LGMRT performs on par or slightly better than D15, and TS140P outperforms LGMRT by a few c in my setups. Especially with TY143. The TY143 is 130cfm, and TY147A, and TY147B are about 74cfm. TY143 shares the same sound characteristics as 47A and B up until about 1500rpm.

I think the TS140 is to tall to fit in my case, the DRP4 would come right up to the side glass. The LGM would fit, but it looks long, might not for against the rear fan?

freeagent

I think the TS140 is to tall to fit in my case, the DRP4 would come right up to the side glass. The LGM would fit, but it looks long, might not for against the rear fan?

I have LGMRT in a CM 690II Advanced, and there is enough room for a 25mm fan :thup: I did have TS140P in that case as well, but a pipe tip rubbed against the panel.

I accidentally bought a Define mini c off of Kijiji here.. bit of a language barrier.. I thought it was the ATX model.. anyway.. LGMRT fits that tiny case, and I think TS140P might too, though the latter does not help you.

Nice case btw, I just had a looksee.

OP
Celeron_Phreak

Celeron_Phreak

I have LGMRT in a CM 690II Advanced, and there is enough room for a 25mm fan :thup: I did have TS140P in that case as well, but a pipe tip rubbed against the panel.

I accidentally bought a Define mini c off of Kijiji here.. bit of a language barrier.. I thought it was the ATX model.. anyway.. LGMRT fits that tiny case, and I think TS140P might too, though the latter does not help you.

Nice case btw, I just had a looksee.

It's a beautiful work of art to look at, but the airflow is horrible! :cry:

ITAngel

Speaking of AIO, over the years they gotten better and if you find one that leaks chances are it was damaged during shipping some how. Now I did take my luck to test this theory during the weekend as you can see from the picture posted and notice that the Corsair H115i Pro RGB giving me better temps and better performance than the Dark Rock Pro 4. Now I am torn between the two units since it works amazingly well. However; one issue I ran on my setup is my case uses all USB internal ports and the cooler require to have a USB port to connect the cooler into it. Having only 2 USB ports that it can connect to I have to disable one or another of my USB case cables. Which is the only thing forcing me back to the air cooler. Honestly now that I look at the build quality of these things I won't worry so much about AIO as long as you get one from a respectable company if you are not ready to adventure the water custom loop route.

20190331_024259.jpg

Last edited:

issicus

Registered
My aztek aio got a leak in the radiator after 7-8 years. I think I would have to drill a hole in the top to refill and jb weld the hole.

PSA if some paint chipped off your radiator it might be because there is a hole there.