• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air Compressors instead of fans....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
I was looking up air compressors for dusting purposes, then I had the idea of using air compressors instead of fans. I don't mean for widespread use, just as an experiment. I wonder if having one, two, or even three of them in a system would do anything if they were in just the right spot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12V-...014QQitemZ330233629111QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

The above runs off of 12v, and can take up to 10 amps, so a dedicated PSU may be required, especially if you had a few of them.

You could keep a fan blowing over the whole heatsink... But maybe you could fix a few of these to blow on certain areas like the base of the heatsink, or across the whole heatpipe, and have one for each heatpipe.

My thought is that having a few very high airflow areas would be superior to even a high CFM fan.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever tried it just for fun, and if they did, if they were able to make a "superior" setup. I would think air compressors would not want to go 24/7 like fans do.

Just curious. :)

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
Well, couple issues:

-They can't compress that fast
-They are not meant to run all the time
-Extremely loud
-You will have water coming out due to the compression

It is an interesting idea, but I don't think it will work.

Red_LightRanger

Well, couple issues:

-They can't compress that fast
-They are not meant to run all the time
-Extremely loud
-You will have water coming out due to the compression

It is an interesting idea, but I don't think it will work.

+1, air compressors are loud when you are using them let alone when they need to recharge the tank look out!..You would be way more happy with a couple of yate loons running.

evomac

It would be WAY to loud.

Something of that size is really meant to inflate a tire or a beach ball. If you tried running that for any prolonged period of time with constant air shooting from it, that motor would have a VERY short shelf life.

As for the water if you attached a moisture trap it should prevent it from spraying water out at all (I have one attached to mine for when I airbrush). Still for a cooling idea there is really no way of making that a reliable cooling device. Maybe for a bench run and you want some active cooling on a NB it would pass, but anything above that I'd stick with fans.

OP
Foxie3a

Foxie3a

Normal Member
Come on, you guys have stuff like LN2 to cool your CPUs, and then you tell me that an air compressor won't work because it can't be used for long periods of time... I would never use it myself... I was just saying for fun, has anyone ever tried doing any like it to see how it competes with traditional fans?

Last edited:

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
Come on, you guys have stuff like LN2 to cool your CPUs, and then you tell me that an air compressor won't work because it can't be used for too long... I would never use it myself... I was just saying for fun, has anyone ever tried doing any like it to see how it competes with traditional fans?
You can't compare LN2 to compressed air >.>

LN2 is way below ambient temperatures, your idea will never achieve it.

mepis

I actually did this years ago on a k7. Granted I pushed 120 psi through a compressor with a filter. It did work very well when I pointed the air compressor nozzle right on to the heatsink. I didnt look at the link you posted so I dont know what kind of compressor you were looking at. As far as air cooling goes though a real compressor with a filter does rather well and killed my tornado back in the day in the way of performance. I did only do this for ~30 minutes at the most though with prime as the compressor did get annoying.

Here's something for you people up north with me here to try next winter though. I took a shop vac and sat it outside the window in 30 degree weather and plugged the tube into the exhaust and through the windows straight to the heatsink. It blew the chilly outside air with a lot of pressure straight to the heatsink. I did get slightly below ambient inside temperatures at stock speed under load though with my k7 doing this.

OP
Foxie3a

Foxie3a

Normal Member
I didn't post this in extreme cooling for a reason. Of course it won't produce the same results as LN2, that's why I was comparing it to a fan. I brought up LN2 because my idea was shot down because it was too loud(among other things). It may be an inconvenience, but it was just meant to be an experiment.

There's always people out there coming up with these really weird experiments for cooling, they're not trying to beat LN2, they're just trying to show that it was effective, even if only for a short time.

Maybe you could have them switch off or something, taking turns so one is always pushing air out. Who cares if it's loud, it's an experiment. They won't last too long running at full load, but LN2 doesn't last long either. Moisture can be dealt with using a filter.

I guess no one has ever seen anyone try having any fun with one. So, that's that.

Edit: Ah, Mepis has done it! So it does work, and it killed the best fan at the time. Awesome! Don't suppose you have any pictures though. :)

mepis

I didn't post this in extreme cooling for a reason. Of course it won't produce the same results as LN2, that's why I was comparing it to a fan. I brought up LN2 because my idea was shot down because it was too loud(among other things). It may be an inconvenience, but it was just meant to be an experiment.

There's always people out there coming up with these really weird experiments for cooling, they're not trying to beat LN2, they're just trying to show that it was effective, even if only for a short time.

Maybe you could have them switch off or something, taking turns so one is always pushing air out. Who cares if it's loud, it's an experiment. They won't last too long running at full load, but LN2 doesn't last long either. Moisture can be dealt with using a filter.

I guess no one has ever seen anyone try having any fun with one. So, that's that.

Edit: Ah, Mepis has done it! So it does work, and it killed the best fan at the time. Awesome! Don't suppose you have any pictures though. :)

Sorry no pictures. This was close to 6 years ago or so and living with my parents. I lost those pictures several formats ago.

AlabamaCajun

I would tend to think is placed to close it would reduce the cooling effect is blowing directly on the sink. Rushing air can heat things. On the other hand, if you've ever ridden motor cycles, you will have noticed your back gets cold. Getting some sort of blower to hit the sink at the right angle may just be the key.

terran2k

you're just wasting brain power thinking about this idea. I'd abandon it as it is impractical.

AlabamaCajun

Exactly, no reason to bash the thread/people in the thread because YOU think it is a bad idea. You don't have to respond, you know? ;)

That's OK if Bell hadn't wasted brain power thinking about how to call his assistant in the next room, we would not have to put up with phones ringing all the time. :beer: