• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air cooling a pelt, what HSF should I use

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yodums

Intel rig or AMD? Since Intel doesn't have the four holes.. it's like impossible to do it with it.

But for AMD I'd recommend the:

Swiftech MCX462
or
Alpha PAL 8045

Both with the Delta 80 for maximum performance...

PS: Only 80watts right? 80watt+ shouldn't be cooled with air.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
i got me a svc golden gate 25 bucks shipped, and it should handle a pelt, im getting one to do a chiller project soon.... by monday ill have money! then ill order me a 80watt pelt, i know that it cant handle any more than that....

Starfoxer

World's Biggest E-Thug
tell me how this turns out, im very interested in a HSF cooled
pelt system.

Yodums

Starfox said:
tell me how this turns out, im very interested in a HSF cooled
pelt system.

Well depending on the heatsink he gets it varries. If it turns out with a bad heatsink, the peltier won't be cooled enough and it'll just get hotter.

Yodums

Starfoxer

World's Biggest E-Thug
sounds really risky then, i think donny paycheck uses an
mcxc370 on his 80 watter on an xp 1800. what kinda
CPU u cooling?

OP
Strangelove

Strangelove

Yodums said:
PS: Only 80watts right? 80watt+ shouldn't be cooled with air.

Well what I had in mind was using a 80W pelt. This means that the HSF will have to be able to cool 80W of heat (from the pelt) + x W from the water. Since it's a chiller I'm designing ít doesn't matter whether is't a hsf for a AMD or Intel chip. What I'm looking for is a very good (the best) air cooler around (naturally I don't mind if it's not the most expansive ;))

OP
Strangelove

Strangelove

Yep read it allready :D I think I'm going with a Swiftech MCXc370BLA and then ducting a 120mm 100+ CFM fan to blow air over it. It's a lot cheaper than it's bigger brother but should do the trick, what do you think??
I might build the chiller big enough to fit two pelts on it, if I can find enough money ;). That way I will need two MCXc370BLA's, and I'll duct the 120mm fan over both of them. Should prove interesting!! :D

Yodums

Strangelove said:
Yep read it allready :D I think I'm going with a Swiftech MCXc370BLA and then ducting a 120mm 100+ CFM fan to blow air over it. It's a lot cheaper than it's bigger brother but should do the trick, what do you think??
I might build the chiller big enough to fit two pelts on it, if I can find enough money ;). That way I will need two MCXc370BLA's, and I'll duct the 120mm fan over both of them. Should prove interesting!! :D

Sounds good.

Although I'd still be cautious and this would be my plan:

Get AS3.
Lap the heatsink very good.
Get a slim adapter 60mm to 80mm
Mount a Delta 80 on there.
Duct with the most powerful 120mm there is.

Yodums

Starfoxer

World's Biggest E-Thug
just like donny said in his article, it would be the same price
and probably lower temps to get a water cooling system.

i dont think my glaciator would cool a 80W pelt, other
wise id try it.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
if your tryin to make a chiller out of a waterblock and a pelt, dont do it, beacause it doesnt work, but it can be done if you do it rite..

the problem with using a waterblock is the surface area, i did a expirament with a heatercore and stuck it in the bitter cold outside of minnesota then went and ran water thru it... BRRRRR! very cold!

so id say get multiple swifties and multiple pelts and mount them on a huge cold plate and mount that on a heatercore with the fins flatened out so they are level with the tubes..... im gonna do this in like 2 weeks with my modded heatercore(makin another) and my svc goldengate and an 80 or 72watt pelt

OP
Strangelove

Strangelove

maskedgeek said:
if your tryin to make a chiller out of a waterblock and a pelt, dont do it, beacause it doesnt work, but it can be done if you do it rite..

the problem with using a waterblock is the surface area, i did a expirament with a heatercore and stuck it in the bitter cold outside of minnesota then went and ran water thru it... BRRRRR! very cold!

so id say get multiple swifties and multiple pelts and mount them on a huge cold plate and mount that on a heatercore with the fins flatened out so they are level with the tubes..... im gonna do this in like 2 weeks with my modded heatercore(makin another) and my svc goldengate and an 80 or 72watt pelt

Well I'm not going to use a standard WB for exactly the same reason that you point out. What I had in mind was building a cobber box 130x65x30mm, creating a large surface area by inserting a lot of rods from top to bottom of the box (i need to make a picture, but my paint skills are not the best ;)). Mounting two 80W pelts on one side and two MCXc370BLA on top of them, then ducting a hell of a lot of air over the two heat sinks. With the measurements given above I will get a volume of aprox. 253 cm^3 (the rods used for surface area not included) a tube with a diameter of 14mm with the same length has a volume of 20 cm^3. This means that I have a small reservoir in which the water will flow much slower than in the tube, but since the resistance will be low I will not loose any of the over all flow rate. In other words I will have the water flow slowly through a dual 80W pelt chilled box with a very high surface area. I think that this would work very well, if I can cool the pelts enough.

Burner

Registered
Strangelove,
You may want to consider the slot-1 or slot-A style HSF's like the one from globalwin which had dual 60mm's approx. 26cfm each, fairly good sized heatsink also, they may be hard to find though, Oh buy the way look here, http://www.meci.com under thermoelectric devices they offer a unit that comes with a huge heatsink you could mount a 120mm Fan to, it comes with a TEC also but it's low wattage.