• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air cooling and modding athlon xp 1600 ;) fun fun.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

I have to say, this has been a fun road to better temps and i do not belive i am even close to being at the end of it. although, I can say that i acheived some very nice temps without resorting to water, peltier cooling systems. All it took, was a couple case fans, a thermal right sk7 and some light duct making.

comp.jpg

we see here the the all assembled box with my cpu fan ducting that sucks air straight from out the back. this allows me to run 1.8 ghz on my xp 1600+ without running case open, ie not drowning the house in noise thanks to thermal takes's smart fan II.

The speed controll is taped to the top so i can kill the noise if i so wish.

duct.jpg

a close up of my 2 80 mm ducted feeds. these move a total of 60 cfm through the duct into the cpu fan. this creates a slight vaccum, which helps a fair bit as my external ducting is almost completly passive.

sk7.jpg

my sk7 heat sink
smallfan.jpg

the sk7 using a smaller amd fan. this works... well. but i decided to go for more impressive numbers than noise reduction. i now have a big peice of alluminum ducting out my window feeding my case...

radeons.jpg

I compared my two radeons here. on the left, my working, currently used 128 mb 8500 with crystal orb fan. on the right, my now purely ornimental 64 mb radeon 8500.

finally, with the last month of time, i can acheive this idle temp.

http://ev0one.idleplay.net/comppics/octemp.jpg (screenshot)

On load, i run 38º c and it continues to get colder. with my aluminum ducting out side the case, i suck air in right from out side, using a 80 mm case fan and a air filter.

window.jpg

the temp outside when i took this was 9ºC and its going down as its almost winter. ill post back when it gets -40 out there which is what we can expect from the calgary winter.

Last edited:
OP
Valk

Valk

doesnt need to be clean if it works!. this ducting with the new external ducting i have now cost me $10 ($7 was for the pizza)

I might clean it up. but im moving to cheapy water next chance i get. I found some copper tubing at home depot that is pre coiled for $6!
so it will be good.

I like this set up and thanks to calgay's winter, ill only get colder. now i have to unlock and ill be good.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
hmmmm hope no crack heads live in your neiberhood!

other than that looks isnt everything.always time to work that out. but nice job!

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
thats excelent.heck i could use cooling liek that myself.
im trying to run 202x10=2020 but man the temp on it is killer.
46c idle im almost afraid to hit my folding button.

well only bad part is you will only oc great half the year lol

OP
Valk

Valk

ha ha yea.. I should start folding. my pc spends at least 12 hours a day doing nothing.. as for the half the year deal.. yea.. im designing an intercooler to work with water cooling. this should be interesting.

OP
Valk

Valk

solved if only slightly by the air filter.problem with calgary is the very LOW humidity of the air. although, it will be intersting to see what happens.