• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Airflow and it's effect on our heater cores

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toysrme

Ok here's my second step out to get shot back down! But atleast give it a read and give it a thought.

Personally I think airflow through the radiator is over rated. Now call my crazy! But really The differance I found between one good fan and two isn't even 2-3C on my system. I've personally started to believe(in the case of a heater core)It's not so much how MUCH airflow you get. It's just that you're getting the "minimum amount" of airflow required. Anything else is icing on the cake.

It's been my experiance, altho somewhat limited, that to backup my underlined statement. Just so long as you're getting the "minimum amount" of airflow through the heat core. The effeciancy of everything else will just work it's magic. I've tried two 120 fans and one fan. I use one fan for my radiator. I call it an All-In-One fan. It blows air in, blows air out, and blows air through my radiator. It's controled by a rheobus. What's amazing is that AS LONG as my fan is spinning, the heater core will do it's job well enough so that my CPU will stay relitivly cool. The differances between full bore and as slow as it spings without stopping is ONLY around 3-8C Depending on ambient and depending on load. We're talking quite abit of airflow differance for not a relitively large change in temps.

I've also tried leaving the fan off, but I always get nervous at 45C so I chicken out there. You know it's amazing the sheer cooling CAPASITY we have. You can boot the computer with no airflow through the radiator. Shut down when it hits as high as you dare and it takes a mere what??? 20-30 seconds to erase the first 10C. with air flowing through it. Quite amazing isn't it?

I'll post pics tomorrow and you'll all see what I mean because my AIO radiator fan will be kicking some butt of you vet's that will be wondering why you didn't think of that...

-Toysrme

OP
Toysrme

Toysrme

Whoops shoulda wrote that in word and run a spell checker. <g> Oh well That was originally gonna be an answer to a PM, but it grew alot and before I turn around I have a theory that's been in the back of my head for awhile ready to come to life LoL!

-Toys

juliendogg

same here, i have 1 125 cfm 120mm that absolutely screams @ 12v. sounds like a wind tunnel in my living room. switching it over to 7v (unknown cfm, presumably about half of 125) almost completely silences the fan and my temps go up 1 degree. nice!

Pla

My fan is at its min RPM @ 1500 and max 2500 and I could not see more 1 C difference.
But I get 5-15 C difference if I open the balcony door... :)
Haven't tried in the winter yet... I may get 20C difference...

OP
Toysrme

Toysrme

Neat cause/effect huh? Free fault protection incase the 120mm ever goes out. <g> Not really sunon's last forever. I put a 115v Sunon from an AppleIIe power suply hicky in my monitor. It's atleast 13-14 years old <g>

-Toysrme

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
I didnt see this thread before, and I have stuck 2 88cfm fans BLOWING thru my 7x7heatercore, made a triangle shroud, It was loud, tons of flow, and lowered my temps maybe 2c over the one 88cfm fan... I beleve in lower cfm fans too

GWN

I agree totally! I have no difference in temps if I have my 120mm at 1500 rpm or 2500 rpm. The only difference is a whole lot of noise.

kaltag

i went from a screamer with 100cfm to my panaflo L1a at 68 and almost silent and my temps dropped 3c!!