• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AK31 or AK35GTR,which one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dave65

I think I have narrowed it down to these two boards,any opinions?//

hhmmmmm

I liked my AK31 a lot, but the volts stop at 1.85. My Ak35 is doing great. My only beef with these Shuttle boards is that the vdimm only goes to 2.7v and that can make it hard to get really high FSB. There's a version 2.2 of the AK35 out that's the kt333 chipset, but I don't know where you could buy it. That would be comparable to the Epox 8K3A+. Shuttle makes great boards, and they're cheap.

I'm probably gonna vio and vdimm mod my AK35 soon since I'd like to get a bit above 150 on the FSB. Others don't complain about this, so maybe its just my ram.

If it is the OCZ in your sig,I had the PC 2700 and I couldnt even run my MSI K7T at cas 2,but I got Kingmax now and no problems.
But some have great luck with there OCZ:)

mobos and ram

Yep. I can run the max timings, but above about 152 on FSB and nothing I try can get it to work. But then we've swapped stories about OCZ b4, you and me.

As for those 2 boards, the AK35 has more overclocking options. Higher FSB- 200 vs 166 max on the AK31 (but software could get it higher). More vcore. It has Raid (or just 2 extra ide channels if you're not into Raid), and supports ATA133. I wouldn't leave the Epox 8K3A+ out of your figuring though...

Let me also say that the extra vcore has helped me to get about 37 more MHz on my cpu than I could on the AK31... I can POST even higher, but it's not stable... still working on that. Also, my 3dmark score and Sandra benches have gone up about 3-5%.

Yeah its going to be either the Epox or the AK35,the Epox is so ugly..LOL
I just got this KT3 Ultra from MSI,but I want more power,but I will say this,MSI makes a real stable board.And this way I will have two top computers to run SETI and the kids can play what ever,wont be boged down like with the P3:)
But it is real hard not getting the 333 from EPOX compared to the 266 Shuttle......

mobos

I don't really know enough about the Epox board, but it seems like if you have PC2700, you should be running it on a KT333 motherboard. I wish I could recommend a vendor that sells the AK35GT-R v2.2

That looks like a real winner to me.

I went with the Epox 8K3A+ ordered it from new egg along with a new 1700XP,my 1600 is in shambles,I made the mistake of sanding it and exposed some wires,but I fixed it,thank god,I painted it with nail hardener and just poked holes in the L1 bridges and I was able to get the multipliers to work,now I got this thing running stable @ 158X10,I ran Prime 95 all night and all day so far and not even a hickup:D
So I will put the MSI and my 1600 in my other Antech case and use the Epox and 1700 for the main puter as long as it will be faster than the MSI,like you said I already have the 2700,might as well use it:)

Back