• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AK32VN wont boot up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SojT

Just completed a comp for a nieghbor using the AK32VN and 2400+ with all other new components, and now it wont turn on the moniter.

Ive used this modle of board 1ce before and it worked fine.
maybe a bad Bios? Or is the 300watt case power supply not enough
Also i cleared Cmos

comp will have
AK32VN
2400+
Nvidia 5200
samsung 80gig 7200 HD
(1) pc2700 512 ram
floppy
DVD drive
CDRW Drive

repo man11

Welcome to the forums!

Do the fans spin?

I'd start with the basics Strip it down to just the vid card, memory, just enough for it to be able to get to the POST screen. Make sure (double sure) that it isn't grounding anywhere it shouldn't. Be sure and reinsert the memory.

OP
S

SojT

k yea fans spin, pulled the power on all devises but mobo, and still the moniter will not get power. At the very least, i think i may just have a bad flashed mobo, a lacking power supply, or maybe i need to partition and install drivers onto HD and then try booting

repo man11

To get to the POST screen, you do not need a drive of any sort attached. Not even a floppy. With no drives attached, it will go through the tests, and drive detection, and then ask for a system disk.

You may very well have a bad motherboard. Or CPU, or video card, etc. The only way to narrow it down is to try the components in another system.
Even a weak PSU should be able to POST with only the video card, CPU, and memory.

Badger85

Yeah, listen to repo man. You'd be wasting your time partitioning drives and anyway, how you gunna do it with a no post machine? disconnect all drives.

I would even take out the video card or any other PCI cards you have and make sure the case speaker wire is hooked up correctly. At restart if you hear a beep, it's posting. Listen for the lengths of the beep(s) because they could mean different things. If you still get no beep reseat the ram and make sure it's in the correct slot (don't know much about that board).

Also, Is it DDR that should be run with 2 sticks? If so at least on my shuttle boards if you are using one, it's important that you have it in slot one.

If you hear the beep, then re install the video card.

No beep IMO usually means bad MOBO or processor. Long beep and no post usually means ram.

repo man11

I actually had a Soyo motherboard that would talk to you! I accidentally tested this ability when I started it without any RAM installed. It started up and a tinny voice told me over the speaker that it had no memory installed!

I guess that feature didn't really catch on, I haven't seen another motherboard with it.

BGPatterson

My A7V8X would talk to me.
repo man11 said:
I actually had a Soyo motherboard that would talk to you! I accidentally tested this ability when I started it without any RAM installed. It started up and a tinny voice told me over the speaker that it had no memory installed!

I guess that feature didn't really catch on, I haven't seen another motherboard with it.

OP
S

SojT

Going to go check the drives soon today, and checking ram, but usually boards are suppost to post and boot right up asking for boot disk right? Thats how all my Gygibyte boards have done it, and my 3 Asus boards have, i jsut seem to have trouble with cheaper boards

and yea the voice, i got the A7N8X-E and i heard it speak a couple of times :confused: was watching a scary movie and booted up comp :confused: the voices, i was like WTF, next time i cracked my volume on my speakers, and it goes Power On Self Test Completed, Booting from Operating software :drool:

now i scare others when i boot up :attn: