• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alienware offering replacement should I get Ryzen 5800 or Intel 10900kf

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

treepop

Hey all,

Dell has finally offered me a replacement for my computer. It was having major issues with crashing. I am being offered a replacement.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800 Processor (8 Core, Up to 4.60GHz, 36MB Cache, 65W)

vs

Intel Core 10th Generation i9-10900KF Processor (10 Core, Up to 5.30GHz, 20MB Cache, 125W)

I'm leaning toward the Ryzen for 3 reasons:

1st: It's cooler and probably wont melt the SSF case the Alienware Aorura sits in.
2nd: Better gaming performance
3rd: I believe both use an 8x pci-e slot. But AMD is pci-e 4.0 while Intel is pci-e 3.0. Meaning the ryzen will get the benefit of 100% of the GPU's potential, while the Intel will be hampered by around 4-8%

Would love your thoughts.

OP
treepop

treepop

I have the i9 currently. And it thermal throttles in my alienware. So I guess my biggest question is. Does the 5800 run cooler than the 10900?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Generally, sure... but it depends what heateink, case, and cooler/airflow if it throttles. 5800X doesn't come with a cooler iirc.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
The 5800X will put out less wattage in terms of heat but from what I've read the biggest issue with these Dell PCs is a lack of proper cooling. Regardless of whether you have Intel or AMD, it appears they all have some heat/throttling issues. You may need to improve on some things aftermarket to get the most out of either system.