• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ALiveNF5SLI-1394 (NF560) and SATAII drive not detected as SATA but as IDE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Keitosha

Registered
I got my current board (ASRock ALiveNF5SLI-1394, has the nForce 560) a few weeks already and i've also bought a new HDD (Seagate 750GB 32MB SATAII NCQ) to install my games on and for storage purposes.

My Windows installation (Vista Ultimate 64) is installed on my main drive, which is an IDE Maxtor 250GB (16MB) drive.

Everything is working fine, but i've noticed that my SATAII drive is running in IDE mode, despite setting "non-Raid" mode within the bios. The bios doesn't have the option for running it in IDE or SATA mode, which my previous 939 Dual-VSTA had.

I went to Device Manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers -> NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA controller and pressed on the tab "port 0" where my hdd is connected (SATAII_Black is the physical port connected on my mainboard) and i've noticed that i can't enable NCQ and programs like PCWizard and SiSoft Sandra is reporting that my SATA drive is running in IDE mode.

I've read in some articles that AHCI needs to be enabled in order to fully make use of all the SATAII functions. Where can i find that in my bios? I have the latest 1.30 bios from ASRock.

I also installed the nForce 15.08 driver package and tried updating the nForce SATA controller with the SATA drivers on my SATA floppy. Didn't work, because Windows was nagging about it not being for 64-bit os'es, while it's in the Vista64 dir and the files are:

nvrd64.inf
nvstor64.sys

I assume they are 64-bit.

Here are my full specs:

AMD A64 X2 6000 F3 @ 3.4Ghz
ASRock AM2 ALiveNF5SLI-1394 bios 1.30
OCZ 8GB PC6400 CL4-4-4-8 HPipe
Leadtek 7950GT Extreme 512MB @ 620/1600
Antec Truepower 550 Watt
Antec NSK4400 + 3 LED case fans
Seagate Barracuda 750GB SATA-II (32MB) & Maxtor 250GB (16MB)
PCI USB 2.0 card (4x)
Zolid PVR-TV 7134 TV tuner
X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
2x Optiarc AD-7173A PATA
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 / Ubuntu 7.10 64

Oh.... i also removed the jumper on my hard drive, so it runs in SATAII mode and not SATA. The SATA cable is also SATAII capable.

How do i enable my drive to be seen as SATAII and not IDE? (Plus NCQ)

PS. Don't come spoiling my questions with stupid answers like "Why SATAII?? It doesn't give you any better performance!!", because i've bought a hdd capable of using all features and i tend to use all of them, thank you very much. :)

Back