• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All 3 are out, but which is the winner? (your "IMO")

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
FudgeNuggets said:
I'm not so much into handhelds as consoles, but I've got a GBA that'll play original Gameboy games and add colour too.

pfft!111! Color is overrated!!! All about the green screeen!

Ok, back on topic, I haven't even seen the PS3 in action besides trailers and a few videos so I'm not going to make an opinion on it.

I've had my 360 for the past year. its fun but to me its still really nothing more than an updated XBox. GoW rocks though.

The Wii I have somewhat more interests to because of the wiimote thing. I watched a few friends playing the Wii sports and its really quite innovative.

I figure both sony and MS will bring out thier own little type of Wiimote in the future. So lets say heres to another 5 years of next gen console wars :beer:

Sentential said:
Dont rush to judgement when you have never seen one much less actually played on one.

Before you decide its not worth your while come by my house or vice-versa and actually see what the Wii is like before you say it sucks. (Because it doesnt)

One thing you are correct is this, the Wii is not a computer or a sytem designed for eye candy. Thats not why I bought it. If i wanted eyecandy Ill just go into the other room and fire up the computer. The fact that you are comparing its worth based on that proves to me that you dont understand Nintendo's target market.

Like I said, before you guys rule the Wii out go sit down and actually try one... you'll be amazed.

On a side note if I wanted a high-powered console Id get a 360 no question about it. RedDragon you know my sense of value and style, we had a similar conversation about the X-Fi almost a year ago. After you told us it sucked I brought it by your house and you wound up buying one later that night... lol

Sen if you have one you can bring it by my house and I'll give it a try gladly and you can try 360 and see what it looks like :beer:

UnseenMenace said:
At 35 I consider myself a maturish gamer, and a nostalgic one at that, I think that the death match was defined by "Quake3" in 1999 yet I also was caught up in the hype and excitement and purchased "Quake4" however I do not play it at all now it simply has no interest for me even though it looks better graphically... likewise the PS2 and Xbox held little interest for me, so I never brought one... The wii looks new, interesting its a little bit different... its a brave attempt at something new, I wish Microsoft and Sony were brave enough to think this way.

in my opinion the winner is Nintendo, not because it has the best console or specification but because it alone has increased the size of the market by making people like me buy it, a non-console gamer who has no interest in a tradional console with the same games but next generation graphics interested in it.

Ive not played a xbox360 or PS3 and have no interest in doing such unlike the wii, and that alone suggests Nintendo has done something worth counting

I understand what you are saying, but even though controller might be a great idea there just aren't any games that I see which would appeal to me. That and playing in long sessions like I do, I think that Wii mote could become a pain in the arm.

I was very interested in Red Steel until I saw a review.

Plus not to mention that I have yet to see a game that supports online play :confused:

Since I spend 98% of my time on Xbox Live playing in matches and such, Wii doesn't spark my interest anymore. And what I meant by mature games is that I want something else beside eating mushrooms and such. Like Resident Evil series on GC. Those games were awesome and are the reason why I got the console and sold it shortly after simply cause there weren't any other games and I think that this will be the same problem with Wii.

RedDragonXXX said:
Sen if you have one you can bring it by my house and I'll give it a try gladly and you can try 360 and see what it looks like :beer:
Yes of course I have one lol. Yea I cant bring it by tonight or tommmorow but I definatly can Wed.

I don't like any of the systems so far. None of them have enough decent games to justify buying at this point. The 360 has a few, but you can pretty much play all the good ones (COD series, Oblivion, FEAR) on PC with the exception of Gears of War. PS3 might be worth it down the line, with the BD and some killer titles on the way next year, but right now it has a weak lineup. Remains to be seen how good Wii is as it still has a limited library.

Sticking to PC for now and still playing games on the old PS2.

squads said:
I don't like any of the systems so far. None of them have enough decent games to justify buying at this point. The 360 has a few, but you can pretty much play all the good ones (COD series, Oblivion, FEAR) on PC with the exception of Gears of War. PS3 might be worth it down the line, with the BD and some killer titles on the way next year, but right now it has a weak lineup. Remains to be seen how good Wii is as it still has a limited library.

You forget Saint's Row. That is totally kick *** and a 360 exclusive. Another killer app, Forza 2 is coming in Feb.

Saints row i can live without. 3 GTA titles later and I'm pretty much burned out on that genre of game.

Sentential said:
Yes of course I have one lol. Yea I cant bring it by tonight or tommmorow but I definatly can Wed.

I work all day today and Wed, but I'm free for the rest of the week.

So let me know when it's best for you :beer:

No offense, but this is a pretty stupid thread.

First of all, how can we declare a "winner" when two consoles are less than a week old? Personally, I don't care who "wins" or "loses" - I just want good games.

There are two types of people in the world: one group will hop on every forum imaginable to debate the merits of one console over the other; the other group will just play the damn games.

Excuse me while I play Gears of War and Zelda.

deception``

How funny will it be if/when Blu-ray loses to HD-DVD and becomes Betamax V2? How can you justify the purchase of a $600 steel frame beast that weights approx. 10 lbs ( I've held them in their boxes, they are that heavy) and lays a dead media format?

Wii is innovative, it's fun but it lacks the mature games.
PS3 won't be worth it for a while.
360 is fun, it has the games, it has the awesome online support and it has mature games.

This said, I'll probably get a Wii around Christmas time because it's fun.

deception`` said:
No offense, but this is a pretty stupid thread.

First of all, how can we declare a "winner" when two consoles are less than a week old? Personally, I don't care who "wins" or "loses" - I just want good games.

There are two types of people in the world: one group will hop on every forum imaginable to debate the merits of one console over the other; the other group will just play the damn games.

Excuse me while I play Gears of War and Zelda.

deception``

One of the best posts in recent times imo, thanks.

I'm not really that big on consoles anymore as I do most of my gaming on the computer. However, I still get around to the consoles. I would have to pick the Xbox 360 out of the three mainly because of Halo. I've played it since it first came out and can't get enough of it. Although I dont own any of these new systems I want to pick up a 360 but have to get the cash first. Nothing that the PS3 has really appeals to me and same with the Wii. However the Wii does have Zelda which should be pretty epic.

squads said:

Uh, yeah, good luck finding CoD 3 on the PC. You're going to have to buy a Wii or a 360 to play that one at this point.

IrishAssassin said:
Wii is innovative, it's fun but it lacks the mature games.
PS3 won't be worth it for a while.
360 is fun, it has the games, it has the awesome online support and it has mature games.

This said, I'll probably get a Wii around Christmas time because it's fun.

Wii will probally have more muture games when more games are released, itso nly been out for a week.

PS3:Why would i want a $600 Video Player?

360: Considered it and tried the Amazon Deal but its pretty expensive still in the long run, if you want all features. Premium

I bought the Wii and so far I love it, it is a different experience of gaming compared to the computer, xbox 360, or any other regular console. My girlfriend even likes the thing and the only other videogames she likes is mario kart for snes, mario tennis for N64, and Guitar Hero I & II for ps2. So if she likes it, it usually means that it's a good.

FudgeNuggets said:
It's going to be a two horse race between the 360 and the Wii. The 360 has the advantage now because it has been out for a year, all the mediacenter functions and the quickly growing X-box Live content. I think the Wii will sell more than the 360 did in the same timeframe (last Christmas vs this Christmas). When the initial hype is over, the PS3 mania will die down and people will not buy it at its' price point. Right now it's the new and rare thing so it's like a diamond, but when they become as common as zirconium then people are not going to pay diamond prices for something that is not rare. By that time, all the Blue-Ray drives giving "dirty disc" errors or not loading at all should be beginning to rear its' ugly head.

you know fudge, im usually with you. but not here. i think that it will be a 2 horse race. 360 and ps3. and i believe that microsoft can do it this time.

on the other hand, i have great faith in the wii. i think the wii is in its own totally seperate catagory. and i think it will do very well for nintendo. and in terms of whitch company makes the most money off there console i think ninty will win. but in terms of user base and "coolest" most advertised console, i think its gonna be a 2 horse race between microsoft and sony.

this may be silly, but my biggest issue with this debate boils down to one thing. Well two really if you consider the fact that "IMO" you can't compare nintendo systems to xbox and PSx.

The last attempt at nintendo being a revolutionary graphics system was N64, that has morphed into something else...a party toy. If you are going to be going to college you will see what i mean, if you have recently left you know what i mean. Try turning mario cart into a drinking game...that is fun.

My point is this, Wii has been marketed more of a social "toy" rather then a vidoe game system. Thats my opinion at least. I've been trying to convince my roomates into splitting the cost of a Wii because i think it would be fun.

I'd much rather have an xbox or PS3 but i see that as a more personal investment.

Which brings me to my initial point. The controller. The playstation controller is so logical that it has become the standard for even computers. For the most part it has not changed since the PS1. They added analog controllers (brilliant) and now the R/L2 buttons are a little different. Why does microsoft feel they need to mess with this design, just concede the fact that Sony got it right and move on. :p

I'm an example of why the graph above looks why it does. Sony has the edge on the market over the long haul, and it will pay off.

Back