• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All about my case mods.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
today I went to the hobby store and got a can of spray paint (French Blue) and a glossy overcoat to make it shiny..

I am writing this to maybe help some people if they ever have any ideas on case modding.

I painted my fan grill..but I figured out something afterward..too bad it was too late..

I sprayed the top side first..I should have done the bottom..so that that gets fully covered..then after its dry, flip it over and do two coats(certain time apart).

Now I'll have to do it over so that the top of it isn't bumpy from paint collecting and drying while I do the bottom.

Another thing, I didn't want chrome screws when my case is black and having dark blue shiny grills..

I only wanted to paint the heads, since the rest on the body would come off when I screw it in anyway...

What I did was collect all of my monkey wrenches, and stiff pliers..I put the body into each tool, and made it nice and snug so that it would stay up while I painted the heads..They're dry now..and they're pretty. :)

But I have a problem with paint brushes, I seem to hate cleaning them and throw them away after one use, but I couldn't do it this time, because I only have one, and I have many screws, and only two pliers.

I started cleaning it with the tip of a Qtip, but it didn't work too well...but then I started "painting" the hard body of the Qtip while the water was runnign on it, andit just goes down the sink..

now I won't be wasting anymore paint brushes..

I will post more when I do more mods on my case tonight..

I hope that what I've tried to get out has helped someone in some way...These are just my findings while messing around one saturday night. :cool:

John

OP
Foxie3a

Foxie3a

Normal Member
My screws are all dried now..

I put them in the fan slots without the grills, and they look so dead. a very matte black, no shine at all..it looks like it is so bad it would overwhelm my grills.

I am going to put another coat of black paint on them to make it a darker black, then take the fan grill that I was experimenting on, and put four screws in it at a time, put something under the middle of the grill to raise it a bit, and spray it with the glossy finish.

Hopefully doing this will make nice black sparkly screws that will enhance the entire top of my case. :)

Mr.Guvernment

sounds like a fun project

i would of just dipped the fan grill in a can of paint and let it sit to dry :)

same with screws - as for the paint brush get a non oil based paint and they should clean with water alone - just let it soak in warm awater for about 10 mins and off it comes!

OP
Foxie3a

Foxie3a

Normal Member
I'm sorry, I was thinking about my modding so much I forgot about that section.. :( Atleast this isn't in CPUs or anything. :)

But I used spray paint because I can spray it on nicer that if I dipped it, if it was dipped then there might be a collection of it at the bottom, and then also I would have to hold it somehow, and where I held it there wouldn't be any paint. Same thing goes with the screws.

rhino56

if you were only trying to paint the heads of the screws maybe just screw them into a piece of cardboard and paint them that way.

attack

also you got any pics, they could help for us to give ya some suggestions! also be careful....case modding is VERY addictvive!

OP
Foxie3a

Foxie3a

Normal Member
its not addictive!!!

I have my two really crappy cases lined up for a new paint job.. ;-)

Once I get it all finish I'll take TONS of pictures..I mean TENS of MEGABYTES of pictures..links of course.. :p

I plan on a few surprises also..